Visiting Port Lockroy
Originally named simply Base A, Port Lockroy was constructed in February 1944 during the Second World War as part of a secret mission. It was the first British government building on the Antarctic Peninsula and was used for research studies on geology, meteorology, botany and ionospherics. It ran until 1962 when the scientific research was moved elsewhere, and it fell into a state of disrepair. A huge restoration project took place in 1996 and is now a living museum as well as a giftshop and post office.