Soy, ginger & honey roasted chicken thighs
A fantastic summer recipe of chicken, rice and delicious avocado and sweetcorn salsa.
With butter rice, sweetcorn and avocado salsa
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total cooking time: 40 minutes
Serves: 2 adults and 2 children
A little bento box of chicken, rice and sweetcorn.
For the chicken
6 chicken thighs or drumsticks with skin on
2 cloves garlic
10g ginger, peeled
1 ½ tbs soya sauce
¼ tsp sesame oil
1 ¾ tbs honey
For the rice
200g Jasmine rice
2 tbs butter
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
400ml chicken stock
For the salsa
2x 165g can no salt sweetcorn
1 ripe avocado, diced
10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
Juice of ½ lime
Note: Children can help make this bit
1) Using a mini chopper or blender, blitz the garlic and ginger into a fine paste with 5 tsp water + 1 tsp oil.
2) Marinate the chicken with the ginger and garlic paste, soy, sesame oil and honey for at least ½ hour. If you keep chicken in the fridge, remove the chicken from the fridge 10 minutes before putting it in the oven.
3) Preheat oven to 180°C. Roast the chicken for ½ hour. Check with meat thermometer whether chicken is cooked (must reach at least 74 degrees Celsius).
4) For the rice, in a pan heat the butter until melted. Add rice and incorporate well with the butter. Add chicken stock and simmer on low heat on the hob. As soon as the rice starts to absorb all the stock, add garlic and mix well into the rice, cover, remove from heat and let it stand for at least ½ hour.
5) Mix all salsa ingredients together.
Tips: Obtain meat thermometer