Asian braised lamb with linguine
A scrumptious slow cooked, one-pot casserole served with linguine, or try it with rice, mash or roasted vegetables.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total cooking time: approx 3 hours
Serves 6 (4 adults and 2 children)
This is a delicious one pot dish cooked in a casserole or heavy based pan with lid. It needs about 15 minutes of prep and then you can leave it in the oven to cook over time. Serve with linguine or vary it by serving it with rice, mash, roasted vegetables or root mash vegetables. You can also add cooked vegetables to the lamb like green beans, runner beans or peas.
Approx 1.2 – 1.5kg of lamb shoulder on the bone
1tbs olive oil
1 red onion, sliced
2 carrots, roughly diced
2 lemongrass, bashed
20g ginger, thickly sliced with skin on
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
400g chopped tomatoes
850g chicken stock
1) Preheat the oven to 200°C fan. Place the lamb in tray and roast in the oven for 10 mins. Remove. Turn the heat down to 150°C.
2) Heat olive oil and fry onions, carrots, garlic and ginger for 2 – 3 minutes until the onions are soften. Add tomatoes and bashed lemongrass.
3) Mix well, add the lamb then add the chicken stock. Bring it to boil, cover and put in the oven for 2.5 hours.
4) Remove lamb and shred the meat. Remove lemongrass and ginger pieces. Discard bones. Using a hand blender, blitz the sauce until smooth. Reduce sauce on the hob on medium heat by half. About 15 – 20 minutes. Add the shredded lamb back in.
5) Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Glaze with some olive oil to avoid sticking.
6) Allow 60g of meat per portion.
Tip: Count the pieces of lemongrass and ginger so you know how many to remove. To shred the meat, its best use two forks together.