Valparaiso, Santiago and Central Valley, Chile
At a Glance
Lovely roof terrace with panoramic city and bay views
Historic 1920's mansion
Suites have their own terrace with dining table and loungers
Gorgeous infinity pool set in Mediterranean-style gardens
Some connecting rooms available for families
Best time to Visit
Good time to visit
Average time to visit
A year round destination. From October to March, it’s sunny and temperatures range from 18-28C; the months of April to September bring winter rain and mild temperatures ranging between 10-22C. Morning fog is common this close to the ocean.
Call us on 020 3993 9308 to start planning your holiday to Casa Higueras or take a look at our itineraries to Chile
Casa Higueras is a charming hillside boutique hotel with lovely views over the Pacific Ocean, set in Chile's World Heritage city of Valparaiso to the west of Santiago. The hotel has a gorgeous infinity pool and beautiful gardens.
Perched among the hills of the World Heritage city of Valparaiso, with terrific views over the Pacific Ocean, Casa Higueras is a chic, intimate boutique hotel, originally a mansion built in the 1920s and now carefully restored. Its 20 rooms and suites are supremely elegant and fitted out with all the contemporary facilities one could wish for.
The hotel has a beautiful, Mediterranean style garden surrounded with palms, fig trees and a large araucaria, also boasting a lovely infinity pool and a small spa, perfect for enjoying a relaxing massage. The hotel’s Montealegre restaurant has particularly fine views over the port and the sophisticated cuisine cleverly blends Mediterranean and Chilean flavours, with a particular emphasis on seafood and an extensive wine list.
Casa Higueras is an excellent base from which to discover the fascinating city of Valparaiso or take trips along the fantastic coastline, and makes for a relaxing beginning or end to a trip in Chile.
Casa Higueras has 20 guest rooms, divided into Traditional Rooms, Premium Rooms, Premium Superior Rooms, Superior Rooms and Deluxe Rooms, ranging in size from 22 to 56 square metres. The rooms are furnished a refined, elegant style, with dark woods and mosaic-tiled bathrooms complete with sophisticated Italian fixings. All rooms come with LCD cable TV, DVD player, Wi-Fi access and his and hers amenity kits.
Children over the age of 12 years are welcome at Casa Higueras although there are no formal children's activities. Extra beds and cots can be arranged on request and some adjoining rooms in different categories can be opened up to make a family suite.
Casa Higueras' Montealegre Restaurant serves excellent gourmet cuisine and meals can be taken in the interior salon or al-fresco on the open air terrace. There is also a bar, a stylish living room and a beautiful patio and garden terrace with a gorgeous infinity pool, 12-person Jacuzzi and small spa area, offering a range of massages using natural ingredients. On the very upper level one finds a lovely panoramic terrace with spectacular views over the city and the bay.
Casa Higueras is an excellent base for exploring the historic city of Valparaiso, with its cobbled streets, brightly painted houses, historic mansions and hillside funiculars. A visit can also be made to the house of Chile's most famous poet, Pablo Neruda, a one hour drive away in Isla Negra.
Camilla Greenwood (Staff)
My favourite thing about Casa Higueras are the common areas; the living room down by the Mar Alegre restaurant which is beautifully styled, the refreshing and inviting swimming pool (Casa Higueras is the ONLY hotel in Valpo with a pool) and gorgeous sky bar with a view of the colourful city which disappears up the hillside.
The streets closest to the hotels are the best for wandering, the walls adorned with colour are a particular favourite amongst photographers, and backpackers (street art is particularly famous in Valpo) so the city has a buzzing feel to it especially at the weekend in the summer months. Although heading down to the water can seem tempting, downtown does slightly lack the character of Cerro Alegre, and as you on the hill you'll find the best views, bars and restaurants close to the hotel. If you have a free night, I'd recommend an early dinner at La Concepcion, with a charming outdoor terrace and raving reviews it's a great place to enjoy the sunset behind the colourful city before a delicious meal at one of Valpo's best restaurant. (I would strongly advise a reservation, as it's particularly popular and quite small!)
Alexa Steele (Staff)
Casa Higueras provides a perfect luxury base to explore the amazing architecture and artistic qualities of Valparaiso. The rooftop is a great place to relax in the afternoon and admire the amazing views over the Valparaiso bay.
Scarlett Richard (Staff)
Boasting commanding views over the bay Casa Higueras, is a fantastic place to stay in Valparaiso. As a restored original mansion the property boasts history and character. Each of the 20 guest rooms fit into the interior spaces of the property and vary in size and shape. As a general rule the higher the category the more spacious (not the case for every room) and the better the view. Each room is decorated in the same style and exudes an old-world elegance with high ceilings, dark wooden floors, beamed ceilings and detailed throws placed over beds. The Montealegre restaurant serves fantastic food and wine and is revered as one of the best restaurants in the city. What I loved about the property, was the level of service and attention to detail. Each member of staff remembers your name, takes the time to speak with you, fresh flowers are placed around the property daily and chocolate truffles left as gifts in your room serve as a lovely touch.
Housed in the Casa Higueras hotel overlooking the picturesque bay of Valparaiso, the majestic Restaurant Montealegre enjoys a reputation for its gourmet menu. Chef Oscar Tapia delights diners with grilled lamb chops stuffed with figs, Mediterranean risotto peppered with shellfish and saffron, and desserts like lucuma mousse and cream cheese and dulce de leche ice cream - all guaranteed to make you come back for a second visit. End with a coffee in the next door lounge overlooking the twinkling lights of Sotomayor Plaza and the bay and you'll understand why you're encouraged to make reservations in advance.
The genteel new boutique Hotel Casa Higueras was once a palatial house at the end of a quiet street. The setting is chic, with a sun-drenched terrace, and the restaurant menu (fig-stuffed lamb with garbanzo pure) mixes Mediterranean flavours and Latin ingredients.
Full Day in Valparaiso
Experience the renaissance of the port of Valparaiso, Chile's most attractive city, with its many hills, photogenic houses, and thriving gastronomic and cultural scenes.
Santiago Photography Experience
Explore Chile's capital through the lens of a professional photographer. This will give you a whole new appreciation for the city’s culture, architecture and history.
Wine & Bike in the San Antonio Valley
Explore the hidden back roads of the beautiful San Antonio Valley by bicycle on this fantastic full day tour from Santiago, stopping off for some superb wines at the Coralillo and Matetic estates.
Chile and Argentina Lakes Uncovered
Santiago, Valparaíso, Chiloé, Puerto Varas, Bariloche and Buenos Aires
from £5100 pp inc flights & transfers for 14 nights
- Separated by the vast snow-capped Andean mountain range, visit the contrasting Lake District region of both countries, including an unforgettably scenic journey to get between the two.
- Discover the two vibrant and cosmopolitan capitals Santiago and Buenos Aires, brimming with famous landmarks and world-class restaurants, as well as the colourful port town of Valparaíso.
- Explore Chiloé Island, completely off the beaten track and utterly unspoiled, it holds onto deeply rich cultures and mysterious traditions, and is complemented by lush green, rolling landscapes.
Santiago, Atacama Desert, Valparaiso, Torres del Paine, Casablanca Valley
from £7300 pp inc flights & transfers for 13 nights
- This itinerary is much more exciting than your usual two-week holiday... Take in Chile's amazingly varied landscapes, phenomenal natural wonders and rich cultures
- Prepare to be amazed by vast moonlike landscapes, huge billowing geysers and dazzling night skies full of twinkling stars and constellations in the Atacama Desert
- Dust off your walking boots and explore wild Patagonia and the much talked about Torres del Paine National Park, for some of the most impressive vistas you have ever laid eyes on
Santiago, Easter Island, Lake District, Pichilemu
from £6000 pp inc flights & transfers for 12 nights
- Discover Chile’s vibrant and cosmopolitan capital Santiago, with its thriving foodie scene and visit the colourful port town of Valparaíso, with its wonderfully bohemian vibe and cool urban street art
- Visit Easter Island, one of the most remote inhabited islands in the world, with its famous giant stone heads and a distinctly Polynesian feel
- Stay at a super cool property with a shimmering lakeside setting. Surrounded by fast-flowing rivers, cascading waterfalls, majestic peaks and active volcanoes, the perfect base for outdoor adventures
Family Fun in Chile
Atacama Desert, Santiago, Chiloe, Valparaiso
from £5500 pp inc flights & transfers for 10 nights
- This exciting itinerary offers outdoor activities galore and will open your eyes to Chile's amazingly varying landscapes, phenomenal natural wonders and deeply embedded cultures.
- Prepare to be amazed by dazzling salt-flats, vast moonlike deserts, billowing geysers and colourful lagoons filled with bright pink flamingos in the Atacama Desert.
- Discover Chile’s vibrant and cosmopolitan capital Santiago, brimming with famous landmarks and a thriving gastro scene and visit the colourful coastal town of Valparaíso, with its wonderfully laidback bohemian vibe.
Ultimate Wineries of Argentina and Chile
Buenos Aires, Mendoza, Valparaiso and Central Valley
from £6700 pp inc flights & transfers for 11 nights
- Fashionable and fun, Buenos Aires is your first port of call. Explore the city’s diverse cultural history through its love of food; sink your teeth into succulent steak, learn how to make tasty street snacks and experience a steamy tango show over a three-course dinner.
- Everyone loves a Malbec, right? Make the (easy) pilgrimage to Mendoza, Argentina's wine capital where you’ll stay amongst the vines at a sumptuous luxury property nestled in the foothills of the dramatic Andes mountain range, the perfect place to sample more of the country’s finest wines and gourmet cuisine.
- It’s only a short hop across the border to Chile where you’ll spend a couple of chilled out days enjoying the pavement cafés and bars of the quirky bohemian seaside town of Valparaíso, famous for its steep funiculars, boutique shops and vibrant street art.
Location & directions
Valparaiso, Santiago and Central Valley, Chile
Located in Valparaíso, on top of Cerro Alegre (Cheerful Hill), one of the city's most fashionable areas. Steps from the Yugoslavo Walkway and the century-old El Peral ascensor (funicular).
How to get there
14-hour international flight to Santiago International Airport, followed by a 90-minute transfer to Casa Higueras.
- 100% financial protection
- 24/7 emergency assistance
- Firsthand knowledge
- Renowned service
- Award-winning tour operator