The Inn Patan
At a Glance
Beautiful 10-bedroom boutique hotel located in Patan in the south of Kathmandu
A restored 100-year old Newari town-house with all the original features
Fantastic Nepali dishes in the restaurant
On your door-step is the artistic and secret corner of Kathmandu - perfect to explore on foot and two minutes walk from Patan Durbar Square
Best time to Visit
Good time to visit
Average time to visit
Nepal has a Monsoonal climate with four main seasons. Autumn and spring are the two most favourable seasons for visiting Nepal. Autumn (September to early December) brings in clear weather with sunny days and warm nights. Spring (March to May) with occasional rain falls. From June to September, is the monsoon season. Uncomfortable time to visit as the climate of Nepal at this time of year brings about hot weather and rain falls almost every day.
Call us on to start planning your holiday to The Inn Patan or take a look at our itineraries to Nepal
The Inn Patan is a beautifully restored traditional boutique hotel located close to Patan Durbar Square in Kathmandu, Nepal. With just 10 rooms, the Inn Patan provides a fantastic bolt-hole from which to explore this secret corner of Kathmandu.
The Inn Patan is a gem of a boutique hotel, and ideal if you don't like the blandness of modern international hotels. It is a traditional Newari town-house and over a 100 years old, and has been lovingly restored by the owner/architect Rohit Ranjitkar, who has cleverly retained all of its wonderful architecture and feel, yet applying modern touches to ensure an absolutely comfortable stay. It is built around a delightful central courtyard which features inviting little alcoves to sit down to enjoy a tasty Nepali dinner. The historic brick and timber building features many of the fantastic woodcarvings which Kathmandu is famous for - it is almost like walking into a museum!
The Inn Patan is located in the south of Kathmandu in a district that sees few of the tourists who tend to stay in the more well-trodden north of the city - and this is why you must consider Patan. You will see a far more authentic side to Kathmandu, from its magical markets, colourful local life and buzzing artistic heritage to the impressive Patan Durbar Square which is just two minutes' walk away. Get up early, take a camera and just walk around the local area to experience what this secret corner of Kathmandu has to offer - you won't be disappointed! You are still within easy reach of all the sights and sounds of the Kathmandu Valley.
There are just 10 rooms (6 deluxe rooms and 4 suites) and all are a little different and some with balconies overlooking the courtyard. The rooms have been cleverly designed, retaining the exposed timber beams and wooden or tiled floors, yet feature hand-made carpets, cosy little sitting areas and neutral colours. In the winter they provide thoughtful little touches like putting hot-water bottles in your bed. Move into the black-slated bathrooms and find beaten-brass basins which have been hand-made by the metal workers of Patan. Do note that many Newari houses have fairly low doorways, so if you are tall, do be aware.
Don't expect too much more than that - this is a boutique hotel after all, but you can expect a good WiFi connection and charming service. The food is great, and do try the traditional Nepali thali dishes.
There are 10 rooms, with 6 Deluxe Rooms and 4 Suites. Three of the Deluxe Rooms are twin rooms with the rest of the rooms being all doubles. Some of the Suites have balconies overlooking the central courtyard (Room 1 has a private terrace on the 1st floor, Room 7 has a private balcony on the 3rd floor and Room 10 has a private terrace). There is no central-heating, but heaters are provided in the winter, alongside hot water bottles and electric blankets. The hot water relies on solar heating (with a back-up generator) and feature beaten-brass basins and showers. Do note that the rooms are not air-conditioned, and only have fans, so it might get a little hot in the summer months from March/April to September.
The hotel features a restaurant which surrounds the main courtyard. There is WiFi throughout the hotel (including rooms).
Daniel Smith (Staff)
The Inn Patan is the second restored boutique hotel to open in Kathmandu (after Traditional Homes Swotha which is just around the corner). If you don't fancy staying in a modern international hotel then this should be your choice - and it is superb value for money. Don't expect all the facilities, it basically is just rooms and a restaurant, but you are in a corner of Kathmandu which is perfect for exploring on foot without all the tourists who flock to northern Kathmandu around Kathmandu and Durbar Marg. If you want a hotel that is different, shouts history and old architecture, then the Inn Patan should be your choice.
1-hour Scenic Flight over Everest
Gain an unforgettable view over Mount Everest with an one-hour scenic flight.
3-hour Private Everest Helicopter Charter with Landing
Enjoy an unforgettable experience as you fly over Everest by helicopter, gaining a unique perspective of the world's highest mountain.
Back in time: The Medieval City of Bhaktapur
As you walk into Bhaktapur, you cannot but be overcome by a feeling of inner harmony. Such is the art and architecture and the special layout here.
Bhaktapur Walking Tour
Visit Bhaktapur, one of the ancient cities in Kathmandu Valley and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Blessing ceremony at Shyalpa Tenzin Monastery
The interactive and personalised ceremony will be narrated in English or other European language throughout and will be held at Shyalpa Tenzin Monastery by His Eminence Shyalpa Tenzing Rinpoche. Ideal for a wedding blessing, anniversary or even a birthday
Dinner with an Everest Summiteer
Having dinner with someone who has climbed Everest brings your experience in Nepal to life.
Everest Mountain Flight
Early this morning take a flight around Everest in a light aircraft.
Full-moon butter lamp ceremony at Bodnath Stupa
Mark ‘Purnima’ or full moon in the traditional Buddhist way, by joining a monk from Shyalpa Tenzin Monastery to light a butter lamp (candle) and participate in evening prayers.
Kathmandu City Tour
Visit Kathmandu Durbar Square and Swayambunath, offering excellent view of the city.
Kathmandu Durbar Square & Swayambhu Stupa
Head into central Kathmandu for a walking tour around Kathmandu Durbar Sq with your private guide before heading to Swayambhu Stupa overlooking the valley. Finish at Kaiser Cafe for lunch.
Night Photography Tour of Kathmandu
Enjoy a unique photography class like no other, in the famous Durbar Square. As night falls, the lights of the temple and candles make for impressive shots.
Pashupatinath & Bodnath
Boudhanath Stupa & Pashupatinath, both close to each other to the east of Kathmandu. Boudhanath is the largest Buddhist Stupa in Kathmandu whilst Pashupatinath is one of the most sacred Hindu shrines in the world.
Pashupatinath and Boudhanath
Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Pashupatinath and Bodhanath.
Patan is one of the major cities of Nepal located in the south-central part of Kathmandu Valley. It is best known for its' rich cultural heritage, particularly its tradition of arts and crafts.
Patan Durbar Square
Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Patan Durbar Square, just a 30 minute drive away from Kathmandu.
Rafting on Trishuli River
Raft down the Trishuli river, the most popular white-water rafting destination in Nepal and a thrilling experience.
Kathmandu, Nuwakot, Bandipur, Annapurna Trek, Pokhara & Dhulikhel
from £3700 pp inc flights & transfers for 13 nights
- This itinerary takes you off the beaten track into small towns and villages between Kathmandu and Pokhara
- Stay in characterful and charming villages throughout the journey, to really get a taste of rural local life in Nepal
- Includes an amazing three-day trek in the Annapurna Range
Kathmandu, Pokhara, Chitwan National Park
from £3100 pp inc flights & transfers for 9 nights
- This trip is great for the adventurous amongst you who are happy to scale river rapids, trail the majestic Bengal tiger and hike through mountain passes
- Nepal is a kaleidoscope of colours, whether its countless fluttering prayer flags adorning the stupas and temples or the bright white mountain top snow contrasting the verdant valleys below, the scenes are truly stunning
- Nepal’s trekking is world class and the Annapurna region is a fantastic place to spend a few days hiking, exploring quaint mountain villages and meeting charming locals along the way
Imagine Nepal and Bhutan
Kathmandu, Pokhara, Chitwan National Park, Thimphu, Punakha and Paro
from £5300 pp inc flights & transfers for 14 nights
- The epic Himalayan landscapes that stretch across these countries are awe inspiring and we suggest taking time to sit and enjoy the views
- Bhutan measures its wealth its people’s happiness; this ethos will rub off on you creating a sense of zen and tranquillity
- For those that love the great outdoors and vast open spaces coupled with charming people and fascinating cultures then this is the perfect trip for you
Nepal and Thailand for Teenagers
Kathmandu, Annapurna Trek, Chitwan National Park, Phuket
from £7300 pp inc flights & transfers for 14 nights
- Great combination of adventure in Nepal and relaxation in Thailand
- Fantastic five night trek in the Annapurna Range, staying in a new location each nigtht
- Tailored guiding experiences daily in Nepal to suit the whole family
Kathmandu, Annapurna Trek & Pokhara
from £2400 pp inc flights & transfers for 7 nights
- Fantastic introduction to Nepal, covering all of the key highlights
- Chance to experience the beauty of the Annapurna region with a fantastic two night trek.
- The itinerary provides a fantastic mix of culture, adventure and relaxation. The itinerary can be tailored depending on tastes and can be as relaxed or adventurous as you like.
Ultimate Nepal and India
Kathmandu, Pokhara, Annapurna Trek, Delhi, Agra & Jaipur
from £4700 pp inc flights & transfers for 14 nights
- Lovely combination showcasing the highlights of Nepal and India
- Huge amount of history and culture included in the itinerary and a brilliant introduction to Nepal and India
- Lovely mix of bustling cities including Delhi and Kathmandu and the charming destinations of Jaipur and Pokhara.
Kathmandu, Bardia National Park, Chitwan National Park, Pokhara
from £3900 pp inc flights & transfers for 12 nights
- This trip is for the adventurous amongst you who are willing to head off the beaten track in search of stunning flora and fauna
- Nepal is a stunning and relatively untouched corner of the world so during the trip you can experience breath-taking scenery and charming people
- Nepal has everything from national parks to immense mountains and this trip will allow you to delve into some of its most cherished places
Location & directions
The Inn Patan is located in the south of Kathmandu about 2-minutes' walk from Patan Durbar Square.
How to get there
Take a 12-hour flight (via Middle East) and a 20-25 minute transfer.
- 100% financial protection
- 24/7 emergency assistance
- Firsthand knowledge
- Renowned service
- Award-winning tour operator