Dwarika's Resort Dhulikhel
At a Glance
Ideal for guests wanting a night overlooking the vast Himalayan Range (weather permitting)
Only an hour's drive from Kathmandu and ideal to combine with Kathmandu for a short trip to Nepal - close to the ancient city of Bhaktapur
The best property in Dhulikhel and run the Dwarikas group
We can offer short day walks around Dhulikhel for guests who don't want to tackle the harder walks further into the Himalayas
Possibilities for mountain biking, white water rafting and other more adventurous activities
Superb new spa with a range of treatments, and three restaurants
Best time to Visit
Good time to visit
Average time to visit
Nepal has a Monsoonal climate with four main seasons. Autumn and Spring are the two most favourable seasons for visiting Nepal. Autumn (September to early December) brings in clear weather with sunny days and warm nights. Spring (March to May) is clear and bright, with occasional rain showers. From June to September is the monsoon season. During this time the skies can be overcast and so the Himalayas are rarely visible from Kathmandu or Dhulikhel. Due to the hot weather and daily rainfall, this can be an uncomfortable time to visit.
To start planning your holiday to Dwarika's Resort Dhulikhel
Dwarika's Resort in Dhulikhel is a charming resort with a truly Nepali feel just an hour's drive from Kathmandu, with fabulous views of the Himalayan mountains during a clear day. It is ideal for those guests not able to reach the Annapurna Region.
The Dwarika’s Resort is located near Dhulikhel, offering stunning views over the extended Langtang range of the Himalayas. The resort is located an hour’s drive from Kathmandu city, just beyond the ancient city of Bhaktapur, and 35 minutes from Kathmandu’s international and domestic airports.
Set over 20 acres, the resort is spread over a lush hillside and lies at an altitude of 1,700 metres among pine, rhododendron and cherry blossom trees, to name just a few. Each suite faces the Himalayas and from the highest point at the resort, you can enjoy a 360-degree view of the mighty Himalaya and the Kavrepalanchowk valley below.
Set in different parts of the resort, the three restaurants serve delightful meals, and some wonderful terraces on which to enjoy a sundowner. With most ingredients sourced from Dwarika’s own farms (one of which is situated nearby) and a focus on quality, fresh produce, dining is one of the highlights of the resort. After picking your ingredients at the farm you can learn from the experts through an individual cookery class in the hilltop kitchen and lounge.
One of the main elements of the resort is the Pancha Kosha Himalayan Spa, where treatments are derived from a blend of Ayurveda, Buddhist Medicine and local knowledge. The unique herbs used for the treatments are grown within the Spa’s grounds, or sourced from across the Himalayan region. A number of holistic activities are available at the resort. With its relaxed atmosphere and awe-inspiring views, this is a wonderful place to end a trip to Nepal.
The Dwarika’s Resort offers 39 spacious suites – each of which is named after one of Nepal’s most endangered ethnic groups. Each suite offers luxurious indoor and outdoor living and sleeping spaces, making the most of the fabulous views and natural landscape, and giving you the chance to sleep under the stars. The décor is natural and rustic, without compromising at all on comfort.
Though you could just as well do without in such a setting, all suites include a flatscreen TV, sound system, mini-bar and air conditioning.
Children are welcome to come and stay at Dwarikas Resort Dhulikhel and are likely to enjoy the open surroundings. However, there are no specific facilities available for them at the moment.
Facilities at the resort include three restaurants serving a variety of cuisines, an infinity swimming pool, a cosy bar, a hilltop lounge that feels like it’s suspended in space, a library and a conference room for small groups.
Try your hand at yoga and meditation, and at the calming activities of pottery or mandala making, or take in the minerals of Himalayan rock salt at the salt-house. Energise the chakras in the sound and colour therapy chambers that are nestled among the trees, or experience the meditation maze.
Alternatively, take in the energy of the navagraha (planets) and learn about Hindu astronomy at the library, or browse through books on Buddhist philosophy and Nepal’s unique cultural and geographic diversity.
Other activities include gentle hikes in the surrounding areas, nature walks, bird and butterfly watching, pottery, and visits to nearby sites such as the legendary Namobuddha Monastery, or traditional Newari villages such as Panauti. A scenic walk along rural trails will take you to the resort's picturesque working farm in nearby Darimbot, offering an insight into organic production and the abundant local vegetation. Join the local farmers for lunch and experience the simple joys of rural life in the Himalayan region.
Additional activities such as mountain biking, white water rafting, bungy jumping, canyoning and others can be arranged at an extra charge.
Julie Geyton (Staff)
Sister to Dwarikas in Kathmandu and either a one hour drive or eight minute helicopter ride from the airport. This hotel is the ideal place for your last few days in Nepal and after trekking a place to relax and unwind in a peaceful resort above the hills of Kathmandu. The hotel has a plethora of rooms dedicated to yoga, meditation, crystal therapy, salt therapy as well as an Ayurvedic spa. A vast resort spread over acres of land where little corners of peace are ideal for yoga or meditation. An amazing Ayurvedic doctor will provide a specific programme after detailed discussion with guest or just give advise on relaxation and treatments to help you unwind after trekking.
Emma Mark (Staff)
Jack Mace (Staff)
Dwarika's Dhulikhel is a place like no other, a resort which just has so much to offer! It's about an hour outside Kathmandu but I certainly wouldn't use this as a city hotel for the capital. This is a completely different experience all together! I'd recommend a stay of a minimum of 2 nights (ideally 3 or more) to make sure you enjoy the full experience of this incredible resort. You can spend your days doing yoga, meditation, pottery, hikes, farm visits and cooking classes. Onsite you can also enjoy the incredible pool area, the crystal house, the salt house, the spa, the sound chambers, the meditation maze, the gym, and the Zero Zone Lounge where you can try some local tea. Perched on a hillside, the resort also benefits from amazing views over the hills, valley and mountains in the distance. The Zero Lounge is the best spot to enjoy this! The food offering is also great, they source most of their ingredients from either of their two farms. Overall, it's an incredible experience which is well worth a visit!
Daniel Smith (Staff)
The Dwarikas Resort gives guests the chance to see Himalayan views that they cannot get when staying in the Kathmandu Valley; ideal for those with limited time in Nepal.
Back in time: The Medieval City of Bhaktapur
As you walk into Bhaktapur, you cannot but be overcome by a feeling of inner harmony. Such is the art and architecture and the special layout here.
Cycling around Dhulikhel
Take a leisurely 16km cycle ride from Dhulikhel. Start with a climb up to Namobuddha Temple before working your way through the forest past small villages and rice paddies to the town of Panauti before being driven back to Dhulikhel.
Kathmandu Durbar Square & Swayambhu Stupa
Head into central Kathmandu for a walking tour around Kathmandu Durbar Sq with your private guide before heading to Swayambhu Stupa overlooking the valley. Finish at Kaiser Cafe for lunch.
Pashupatinath & Bodnath
Boudhanath Stupa & Pashupatinath, both close to each other to the east of Kathmandu. Boudhanath is the largest Buddhist Stupa in Kathmandu whilst Pashupatinath is one of the most sacred Hindu shrines in the world.
Patan is one of the major cities of Nepal located in the south-central part of Kathmandu Valley. It is best known for its' rich cultural heritage, particularly its tradition of arts and crafts.
Kathmandu, Nuwakot, Bandipur, Annapurna Trek, Pokhara & Dhulikhel
from £3700 pp inc flights & transfers for 13 nights
- This itinerary takes you off the beaten track into small towns and villages between Kathmandu and Pokhara
- Stay in characterful and charming villages throughout the journey, to really get a taste of rural local life in Nepal
- Includes an amazing three-day trek in the Annapurna Range
Kathmandu, Annapurna Trek, Pokhara, Chitwan National Park & Dhulikhel
from £4100 pp inc flights & transfers for 13 nights
- An amazing adventure through Nepal providing all the classic highlights including Kathmandu, Pokhara, Annapurna Region and Chitwan National Park
- Spend two days in search of the Royal Bengal Tiger in Chitwan National Park
- Spend 4 nights trekking through the stunning Annapurna Region accompanied by expert guides and a team of porters
Classic Nepal and Bhutan
Kathmandu, Annapurna Trek, Dhilikhel, Thimphu, Punakha & Paro
from £6800 pp inc flights & transfers for 14 nights
- Combine both Nepal & Bhutan - a fantastic combination seeing the two great landlocked Himalayan countries
- Trek in the Annapurna foothills where you can take in unspoilt mountain views
- Walk to the iconic Tigers Nest Monastery
Honeymoon to Nepal & Oman
Dhulikhel, Annapurna Trek, Kathmandu, Muscat
from £4800 pp inc flights & transfers for 13 nights
- Perfect combination of relaxation and adventure - ideal for a honeymoon, but also a perfect itinerary for any couple wanting an active holiday coupled with relaxation
- Have your marriage blessed by a Hindu priest at Pashupatinath Temple or a Buddhist Lama from Shyalpa Tenzin Monastery
- Head to Bodnath Stupa for a butter-lamp ceremony with a Buddhist Monk
Kathmandu, Pokhara, Chitwan National Park
from £3100 pp inc flights & transfers for 9 nights
- This trip is great for the adventurous amongst you who are happy to scale river rapids, trail the majestic Bengal tiger and hike through mountain passes
- Nepal is a kaleidoscope of colours, whether its countless fluttering prayer flags adorning the stupas and temples or the bright white mountain top snow contrasting the verdant valleys below, the scenes are truly stunning
- Nepal’s trekking is world class and the Annapurna region is a fantastic place to spend a few days hiking, exploring quaint mountain villages and meeting charming locals along the way
Nepal for Teenagers
Kathmandu, Bandipur, Annapurna Trek, Pokhara, Seti River, Chitwan & Dhulikhel
from £4700 pp inc flights & transfers for 14 nights
- Ideal for families with children 12 and up. Perfect time to visit from October to May
- Trek in the mountains, cycle through remote villages, zip-line, white water rafting and venture through the lush tropical jungle.
- Uses a great selection of hotels, but packed with adventure and experiences your children will love
Nepal in Style
Kathmandu, Majgaun, Pokhara, Dhulikhel
from £3700 pp inc flights & transfers for 10 nights
- Three day trek in the foothills to see how the local communities live and work
- Perhaps choose to add a helicopter to Everest Base Camp, a truly once in a lifetime experience
- The itinerary uses the best hotels and private guides in Nepal, ensuring that you have a completely pampered and luxury experience
Kathmandu, Annapurna Trek, Pokhara & Dhulikhel
from £3800 pp inc flights & transfers for 11 nights
- Perfect for the more active, who want to focus on trekking in Nepal's mountains
- Trek privately in the Annapurna Mountains, staying at comfortable lodges.
- Explore the backstreets and colourful markets of Kathmandu and enjoy the beautiful countryside of Pokhara and Phewa Lake
Location & directions
Located on a hill above Djulihkel city, Dwarika's Resort offers panoramic views of the mountains in a peaceful location just a short drive from Kathmandu.
How to get there
10-hour flight (with one change) to Kathmandu Tribhuvan International Airport, followed by a 45-minute drive to the Lodge.
- 100% financial protection
- 24/7 emergency assistance
- Firsthand knowledge
- Renowned service
- Award-winning tour operator