Nong Khiaw, Northern Laos, Laos
At a Glance
The prettiest and most comfortable accommodation in Nong Khiaw
The location is spectacular; the property overlooks the limestone karst scenery and Nam Ou River
Mandala Ou is a fantastic base for trekking, kayaking and cycling in the area
The property is ideal for adventurous couples and outdoorsy families that want to explore the area
It's home to a cool crisp pool, the only one for miles!
Best time to Visit
Good time to visit
Average time to visit
Laos enjoys a warm, tropical climate year-round. The cooler, drier months of the year are from November to March; however, temperatures rarely drop below 22°C during the day. Humidity is highest between May and September, when sunbursts follow tropical downpours and temperatures can climb to 35°C. However, the average year-round temperature is a pleasant 25°C.
Call us on to start planning your holiday to Mandala Ou or take a look at our itineraries to Laos
Perched on the banks of the scenic Nam Ou River in the hills of Nong Khiaw, Mandala Ou is a simple but stylish little property with spectacular views, sitting about two hours north of Luang Prabang. Mandala Ou is a great base for trekking in the region.
Mandala Ou is a small, simple and attractive little hotel that sits high on the banks of the glorious Nam Ou River in Nong Khiaw. The views of the rugged lime-stone karst scenery really make up for the lack of frills and luxury at the property; they are breathtaking. There are ten simple but comfortable bungalows that are clean and tastefully decorated with brightly coloured fabrics. Of these, 6 have direct Nam Ou river views, and 4 overlook the fountain in the garden.
At the edge of the property is a cool contemporary swimming pool, the only one in town. It looks out to the river and luminous jungle greenery and we think it's a real highlight of the hotel. Food is served during breakfast, lunch and dinner. Expect fresh coffee, croissants, eggs and toast for breakfast and a selection of Lao and Western dishes for both lunch and dinner.
Mandala Ou is located just on the edge of Nong Khiaw, a sleepy village that's a fantastic base for trekking, cycling and kayaking. The town is approximately two hours (152km) north of Luang Prabang at an altitude of 400m. This makes the area beautifully cool and a welcome respite from the lowland hills. The area is home to numerous hill-tribe villages, such as Khamu and Hmong, making it a fascinating introduction to northern Laos and its distinctive culture.
Whilst Mandala Ou is very simple, we feel it's the best option in Nong Khiaw, providing a good place to rest after a day of adventurous activities. It's ideal for outdoorsy couples and adventurous families that just need a clean and comfortable place to rest.
Despite welcoming all children, we feel that Mandala Ou is mostly suited to older children who can enjoy the adventurous activities on offer in the area.
There's a lovely pool, free bicycle hire, a traditional Lao herbal steam sauna, a restaurant, open sided fire place and plenty of board games to keep guests entertained.
Clare Barratt (Staff)
What a charming little resort. Located riverside with majority of the rooms looking over the river with little balconies. There is a small plunge pool here, probably the only hotel with one in the town, which is a massive bonus after a day of trekking/kayaking/boating! Rooms are very nicely decorated with lots of colours and charm and feel quite homely. Bathrooms are slightly open plan and wet room-like but nice. Lovely atmosphere here and well located if you want to venture out in the evenings.
Indochina and Thailand for Teens
Chiang Rai, Muang La, Nong Khiaw, Luang Prabang, Siem Reap, Koh Russey
from £9200 pp inc flights & transfers for 16 nights
- This is an action-packed itinerary that explores lesser known parts as well as highlights of Indochina. Taking in Laos' undisputed highlight and UNESCO protected Luang Prabang, the remote hills of Northern Laos, the temples of Angkor in Cambodia, and offering plenty of time at the end to relax on Cambodia’s island beaches, this journey perfectly combines culture with adventure, making it an ideal family trip.
- A unique tour of Indochina that's brimming with active and educational experiences, that are perfect for teenagers
- Visit the UNESCO Word Heritage sites of Luang Prabang and Angkor Archaeological Park all in one trip
Off the Beaten Track Indochina
Vientiane, Muang La, Nong Khiaw, Luang Prabang, Hanoi, Mai Chau, Tam Coc, Phnom Penh, Battambang, Siem Reap
from £6800 pp inc flights & transfers for 21 nights
- Visit the astonishing temples of Angkor, including Angkor Wat, with our specialist guides who are able to judge the busiest times at each temple and will ensure you reach each one just after the crowds have departed.
- Spend time in Battambang, Cambodia, a beautiful colonial town with a genteel old world feel.
- Get to know Cambodia's arty capital city, Phnom Penh that's brimming with cafes, restaurants and boutiques.
Vientiane, Muang La, Nong Khiaw & Luang Prabang
from £3800 pp inc flights & transfers for 10 nights
- Explore the remote and hidden parts of northern Laos, perfect for adventurous families and couples
- Luang Prabang is an incredibly scenic, serene and relaxing place to unwind with the country's best hotels and resorts.
- Visit some of the most untouched hill tribe villages in southeast Asia
Location & directions
Nong Khiaw, Northern Laos, Laos
Mandala Ou sits on the left bank of the Nam Ou river, on the edge of Nong Khiaw. It's just a 5 minute walk from the centre of the village.
How to get there
14-hour international flight (one change) to Luang Prabang and from here it's approximately 3 hours by road.
- 100% financial protection
- 24/7 emergency assistance
- Firsthand knowledge
- Renowned service
- Award-winning tour operator