Tortuguero, Caribbean Coast, Costa Rica
At a Glance
Prime position to experience the incredible turtle nesting season
Small enough to guarantee guests an incredibly personalised service
Located perfectly to be fully immersed in the incredible surrounding wildlife
Free wireless internet in the heart of the rainforest
Incredibly knowledgeable local guides, with years of experience in the area and with the animals
Best time to Visit
Good time to visit
Average time to visit
The summer season (November to April), also called the 'dry' season, doesn't necessarily mean no rain- but there should be less of it. The 'green' season (May to November) can still be a good time to visit- you can avoid the tourist bustle and lodging is slightly cheaper. During this time, however, rivers start to swell and dirt roads get muddy, making travel more challenging.
Call us on 020 3993 9308 to start planning your holiday to Tortuga Lodge or take a look at our itineraries to Costa Rica
Tortuga Lodge is situated on 50 acres of private land bordering Tortuguero National Park (51,870 acres), one of Costa Rica's most popular eco-tourism destinations, on the northeast Caribbean coast.
The essence of Tortuguero is reflected in the hotel’s eco-rustic style and it's one of our favourites in the area. This remote tropical rainforest lodge has 26 rooms, which while simple, are spacious and beautifully decorated with local touches such as cool tired flooring and colourful furnishings. Each room has a private bathroom with hot water and ceiling fans. The restaurant serves up home cooked fare and has a long multilevel deck perfect for enjoying the fabulous views.
The excursions and guiding on offer are excellent. Explore the canals for howler monkeys, colourful poison-arrow frogs, go fishing and hike Tortuguero National Park. The area is also considered one of the world's major nesting sites for the Atlantic green turtle; you can see these great creatures between July and October. Whilst not out on a tour, relax from a hammock or explore the extensive botanical gardens, which feature palms, orchids, and heliconias. Tortuga Lodge has an energy conservation program that saves an average of 50% of the overall electrical energy consumption at the lodge.
Costa Rica with Kids
Central Valley, Tortuguero, Arenal & Papagayo
from £3600 pp inc flights & transfers for 10 nights
- Fun-filled activities to suit everyone in the family
- Amazing wildlife experiences from sloth spying to night walks through the rainforest
- Robinson Crusoe inspired jungle lodges to bring out the explorer in everyone
Epic Costa Rica
Central Valley, Tortuguero, Puerto Viejo, Pacuare, San Jose
from £5300 pp inc flights & transfers for 13 nights
- Stay at a boutique retreat surrounded by gorgeous scenery where you can savour the perfect cup of coffee in the morning, visit volcanoes during the day and enjoy spectacular sunsets and cocktails in the evening
- Spot sloths hanging out in trees and caiman swimming alongside your boat as you explore the pristine jungle and waterways of Tortuguero National Park
- Top up your tan and while away the hours in a hammock whilst sipping rum punch from a coconut, accompanied by pulsating reggae tones in the lively Caribbean beach town of Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Wild Costa Rica
Central Valley, Tortuguero, Osa Peninsula & Manuel Antonio
from £4700 pp inc flights & transfers for 10 nights
- Get away from the crowds and off the beaten track on the wildlife-rich Osa Peninsula
- Go looking for turtles, sloths, monkeys and frogs in the Tortuguero National Park
- Offers a chance to nature-watch while at a beach retreat in the Manuel Antonio National Park
Location & directions
Tortuguero, Caribbean Coast, Costa Rica
Located on the North East Coast of Coast Rica, in the naturally rich Caribbean Coast, Tortuga Lodge sits on the bank of the Tortuguero River.
How to get there
Only accessible by domestic flight or a combination of road and boat.
- 100% financial protection
- 24/7 emergency assistance
- Firsthand knowledge
- Renowned service
- Award-winning tour operator