Puerto Varas and surrounds, Lake District, Chile
At a Glance
It is no surprise that the owner, Mauricio Fuentes, is an architect and designer. The hotel is incredibly striking, with a bold mix of glass and stone, modern contours and locally produced textiles.
Perched on the banks of Lake Llanquihue, each room boasts floor to ceiling windows and stunning views over the shimmering waters, with the snow-capped Osorno Volcano in the distance.
Located away from the main town of Puerto Varas, Hotel Awa offers tranquillity while only being a short journey to any outdoor adventures. While it will be hard to tear yourself away from the cosy lounges there is plenty to keep your diary jam packed – bird watching, kayaking, rafting, biking, fishing or hiking.
After working up an appetite during a day out of adventure you will be rewarded with a delicious dinner! The restaurant has a daily changing menu that heroes local produce and as much as possible is sourced from the hotel’s own organic garden.
During your stay it would be a shame not to enjoy some of AWA’s more relaxing options – two stunning swimming pools with glass walls and ceilings, steam room, sauna and treatment rooms. The aromas of wood & sweet citrus fruits that fill the spa are perfect to help you unwind!
Best time to Visit
Good time to visit
Average time to visit
The main season in Chile's lake District runs from November to April - the Chilean spring/summer, when all activities are possible. It's also worth visiting in autumn, when it's still very beautiful for simply relaxing and hiking. The area is prone to rain all year but is wettest in July and driest between January and March.
Call us on 020 3993 9308 to start planning your holiday to Hotel AWA or take a look at our itineraries to Chile
AWA is a wildly unique, visually stunning and contemporary hotel in the heart of Chile's photogenic Lake District. Offering luxury accommodation, mesmerising views of the lake and Osorno Volcano and access to a range of activities on and off the water.
With a striking architectural design and spectacular location on the shores of Llanquihue Lake (just outside of popular Puerto Varas), AWA is a unique gem and a beautiful base for exploring the natural diversity of Chile's Lake District.
Although contemporary, the property manages to respect its surroundings, with plenty of glass to maximise views of the beautiful scenery in all directions. Each of the guest rooms and suites boasts floor-to-ceiling windows too, looking out over the lake and the Osorno Volcano in the distance. Interiors are adorned with local materials and artwork, which echo the essence of the region.
Its lakeside location, flanked by a private beach and marina, makes AWA ideal for enjoying a range of activities on the water, including kayaking and fly-fishing, whilst the nearby volcano and rivers also offer fantastic rafting, hiking and birdwatching.
Although the focus here is simply on enjoying the outdoors, AWA also manages to invite guests to make the most of their downtime, offering a luxurious spa, cosy bar and tantalising cuisine in the on-site restaurant. Rooms are sumptuous and luxurious; each comes furnished with a fireplace to tackle cooler evenings and plush bedding and blankets can be found throughout to ensure a comfortable sleep.
Rooms at AWA all boast floor to ceiling windows which enjoy spectacular views of Llanquihue Lake and the Osorno Volcano. They are also all equipped with cable TV, a fireplace, super king bed or twin beds, complimentary WiFi, minibar and security box. Bathrooms all have a separate shower and whirlpool tub. Superior rooms measure 46sqm and suites measure 75sqm and boast an additional living room with a sofa bed.
AWA hotel contains a fantastic spa with heated swimming pool, sauna, hammam and whirlpool, all of which has been designed around the five elements; water, fire, earth, wood and metal. The on-site restaurant serves up creative and modern menus which utilise traditional Chilean ingredients to create new takes on the local cuisine. The bar welcomes guests to relax by the wood burning fireplace whilst tasting some of the finest Chilean wines.
Puerto Varas offers up multiple opportunities for adventures, boasting a wealth of both cultural and natural attractions. With lakes, volcanoes and rivers to explore, activities at AWA extend to fly-fishing, kayaking, rafting, bird watching and hiking. There is also evidence of German colonisation in the area and this combined with the local Huiliche culture invites a range of cultural excursions too.
Half Day Tour to Osorno Volcano
Enjoy a half day trip to the Osorno Volcano.
Rafting Excursion at Vira Vira
This half-day white water rafting adventure comes highly recommended for thrill-seekers! Paddle along the Trancura River as you fight against grade III - IV rapids, and be prepared to get wet! Suitable for a variety of abilities and fitness levels.
Santiago, Torres del Paine National Park, Lake District and the Atacama Desert
from £4400 pp inc flights & transfers for 13 nights
- This exciting itinerary offers outdoor activities galore and will open your eyes to Chile's extraordinarily varying landscapes and phenomenal natural wonders.
- From the soaring mountains and remote wilderness in Patagonia to the dazzling salt-flats and coloured lagoons in the Atacama Desert, there is a wealth of jaw-dropping scenery to explore.
- Experience an array of contrasts and meet like-minded travellers, whilst staying in some of the country’s more unique and comfortable properties.
Chile and Argentina Lakes Uncovered
Santiago, Valparaíso, Chiloé, Puerto Varas, Bariloche and Buenos Aires
from £5100 pp inc flights & transfers for 14 nights
- Separated by the vast snow-capped Andean mountain range, visit the contrasting Lake District region of both countries, including an unforgettably scenic journey to get between the two.
- Discover the two vibrant and cosmopolitan capitals Santiago and Buenos Aires, brimming with famous landmarks and world-class restaurants, as well as the colourful port town of Valparaíso.
- Explore Chiloé Island, completely off the beaten track and utterly unspoiled, it holds onto deeply rich cultures and mysterious traditions, and is complemented by lush green, rolling landscapes.
Santiago, Torres del Paine National Park, Lake District, Atacama Desert, Easter Island, Casablanca Valley
from £5600 pp inc flights & transfers for 16 nights
- Designed to encompass all of Chile's highlights, you will experience the true essence of this awe-inspiring country.
- Discover the rich culture and heritage of Chilean people, as well as the dramatic landscapes that have been drawing visitors from all over the world for decades.
- Your adventure begins in the capital Santiago, before heading to Patagonia and the much talked about Torres del Paine National Park for some of the most impressive landscapes you have ever laid eyes on!
Santiago, Easter Island, Lake District, Pichilemu
from £6000 pp inc flights & transfers for 12 nights
- Discover Chile’s vibrant and cosmopolitan capital Santiago, with its thriving foodie scene and visit the colourful port town of Valparaíso, with its wonderfully bohemian vibe and cool urban street art
- Visit Easter Island, one of the most remote inhabited islands in the world, with its famous giant stone heads and a distinctly Polynesian feel
- Stay at a super cool property with a shimmering lakeside setting. Surrounded by fast-flowing rivers, cascading waterfalls, majestic peaks and active volcanoes, the perfect base for outdoor adventures
Santiago, Torres del Paine National Park, Lake District, Atacama Desert
from £4000 pp inc flights & transfers for 12 nights
- This itinerary is paradise for outdoors enthusiasts, with incredible hiking, horse riding and kayaking on offer.
- Journey the length of Chile, immersing yourself in the spectacular scenery that the country is so famed for.
- Feel freedom as you never have before as you experience a myriad of activities in the majestic landscapes of Torres Del Paine National Park.
Location & directions
Puerto Varas and surrounds, Lake District, Chile
AWA Hotel can be found 30 km outside the village of Puerto Varas in Chile's Lake District, in Llanquihue Lake's basin. The shore of the lake is just 20m away from the hotel making it ideal for activities on the water.
How to get there
14-hour direct flight to Santiago, followed by a 1-hour, 45-minute flight from Santiago international airport to Puerto Montt. Hotel AWA is a 1-hour drive from Puerto Montt airport.
- 100% financial protection
- 24/7 emergency assistance
- Firsthand knowledge
- Renowned service
- Award-winning tour operator