Le Pavillon de l’Emyrne
Antananarivo, Central Madagascar, Madagascar
At a Glance
Beautiful gardens to relax in
Each room individually and thoughtfully designed
In Madagascar's Old Town with views of the city
Close to two of Antananarivo's best restaurants
Antique Malagasy art and photographs adorn the walls
Best time to Visit
Good time to visit
Average time to visit
Any time of year is fine for a visit except from January to March, when heavy rainfall in many areas can make some roads all but impassable, and when there’s a high risk of cyclones in the east and northeast. In general, the best time to travel in most areas is April and October/November. The coolest time to travel anywhere is during the dry season (May to October).
Average maximum temperatures vary from about 30°C in coastal areas (higher in summer) to around 25°C on the hauts plateaux. In Antananarivo and other highland areas, temperatures during winter can drop to 10°C and even lower during the night.
Call us on to start planning your holiday to Le Pavillon de l’Emyrne or take a look at our itineraries to Madagascar
Pavillon de L'Emyrne is a 13-bedroom guesthouse in the heart of the old town of Antananarivo, with views over the city and two excellent restaurants nearby. Its character is enhanced by the originality of the architecture and flamboyant décor.
Almost every trip begins or ends in the Malagasy capital, a city of tiered streets built in and on the twelve surrounding sacred hills, around a long, narrow rocky ridge. The summit near the centre of the ridge was easy to fortify, as it provided an excellent vantage point and was surrounded by marshland suitable for rice cultivation. It became the site of the royal palace (rova) and centre of the Merina kingdom. The conquests of King Radama I elevated the city to capital of Madagascar, a position retained under the French.
Built as a private residence for a wealthy Frenchman in the 1930s, Pavillon de L'Emyrne is a charming city guesthouse with a small garden. Boasting a beautiful view of the royal hill and plains, the hotel is located in the heart of the old city in a neighbourhood teeming with busy restaurants.
The house has been preserved in its colonial style, with high ceilings and wooden corridors, but facilities have been adapted to modernity to guarantee guests comfort during their stay. Each of the 13 rooms has its own individual character as well as air-conditioning and satellite television.
Accommodation is in 10 superior rooms, two standard rooms and one apartment. All rooms have either a garden or city view, a private bathroom, TV (satellite and local channels), telephone and Wi-Fi.
There are no specific child care facilities available at Pavillon de l'Emyrne, but children are most welcome and there is an apartment with two bedrooms which is ideal for families. Food and meal times can be adjusted to suit younger guests and babysitting can be arranged.
Facilities available at Pavilion de l'Emyrne include a sauna, massage room, hair and beauty treatments. There are two computers available for guests to use as well as a facility to book and confirm your airline tickets.
There are a range of activities to chose from whilst staying at Pavilion de l'Emyrne, a tour of the city or a variety of walking tours which can be a day or half day trip to Lake Andraikiba, Lake Tritriva or Lake Andranobe or explore the Relay Volcanoes. Other activities which can be organised whilst staying here include Golf (2 x 9 hole courses), tennis, riding and spa treatments.
Highlights of Madagascar
Mandrare River & Manafiafy
from £7200 pp inc flights & transfers for 9 nights
- Adventurous itinerary exploring the Madagascan wilderness
- Meet the Antandroy tribe
- Marvel at the incredible, lunar landscape of the Spiny Forest
Antananarivo, Amber Mountain, Ankarana Reserve, Nosy Be
from £3100 pp inc flights & transfers for 11 nights
- Climb amongst the otherworldly limestone formations of the Tsingy in Akarana Reserve, dotted with pockets of jungle.
- We love the bizarre and wonderful species you can find in Madagascar and we have tailor-made this itinerary in the north to really showcase some of the highlights.
- Adventure through the western part of Ankarana Reserve on boat and bike, gaining a whole new perspective of the wildlife that this region presents.
Andasibe-Mantadia, Antananarivo, Antsirabe, Ranomafana National Park, Isalo National Park, Ifaty
from £3300 pp inc flights & transfers for 12 nights
- This is a slow-paced trip, with plenty of time in each area to explore the flora and fauna fully. Discovering Madagascar by road, you can enjoy the spectacular scenery surrounding you and you won’t have the stress of flight schedules.
- With chances to see the indri, the world’s largest lemur, ring-tail lemur and the Golden Bamboo lemur, this trip presents some truly impressive wildlife sightings.
- Adventure through varied habitats such as the dense rainforests in Ranomafana and the dry, arid spiny forests in the south.
Location & directions
Antananarivo, Central Madagascar, Madagascar
Pavillon de l'Emyrne is located in the Isoraka area Antananarivo. Antananarivo is the capital of Madagascar, located in Antananarivo Province, in Central Madagascar.
How to get there
It is a 13-hour international flight (one stop) to Antananarivo Airport. Pavillon de l'Emyrne is a 1-hour drive from the airport.
- 100% financial protection
- 24/7 emergency assistance
- Firsthand knowledge
- Renowned service
- Award-winning tour operator