Love is certainly in the air at Scott Dunn. After years of experience planning perfect honeymoons for our guests, two of our sales consultants, Camilla and Olivia are currently in the process of booking their own.
The honeymoon is one of the most important and exciting parts of wedding planning and getting it right can be almost as important as the dress.
Here our blushing brides-to-be share some of their top tips on planning the honeymoon of a lifetime…
- In the words of Kirstie Allsop, location, location, location! Even if friends recommend a certain destination, do check whether it suits what you and your husband-to-be are looking for. Discuss your desires with a travel consultant with expertise in that region to see if it is the best option and really pick their brains. Magazines, websites and forums can often be subjective and often not give the full picture so speak with a destination specialist.
- Don’t be afraid to tell your tour operator it’s your honeymoon! After months of paying a premium for the term ‘wedding’ when it comes to honeymoons there are a lot of special extras to make your trip that extra bit special such as champagne and gifts on arrival, spa treatments and ‘bride stays free’ exclusive offers.
- When you are choosing a hotel check what is included in your stay. If you are not on a fully inclusive basis, take care to save some of your budget to spend when you are there. Speak to your travel consultant about the local area, are there any fantastic local restaurants you might be missing out on if you are on half or full board. Be careful not to underestimate the price of meals and drinks in five star properties. You can also ask a hotel for a sample menu and drinks menu to check the prices so there are no surprises when you arrive.
- Often safaris seem more expensive on paper initially, but when you get there everything is included from drinks, meals, park fees, game activities etc. so you literally do not have to open your wallet when you get there which is a wonderful feeling!
- Imaginative multi-center itineraries are a hot trend, but take care not to move about too much and try and do too much on your honeymoon! Be careful to avoid too many flights, you do not want to spend most your honeymoon in an airport!
- Consider going somewhere neither of you have been before so that neither of you are not comparing it to the last time you visited and avoiding any disappointment the second time around. Even though we love Asia and have been there several times and were considering it for our honeymoon, we decided on Tanzania and Mozambique as they are totally new destinations for us. A new start, a new adventure!
- Don’t head off straight after the wedding or early the next morning as tradition dictates, give yourself a day to absorb the excitement of the wedding before subjecting yourselves to a long haul flight!
- Don’t worry about changing your name on your passport before you go, its one less thing to worry about and we will make sure that everyone addressed you as ‘Mr and Mrs X’ throughout your stay.
- Arrange something out-of-the-ordinary such as helicopter or seaplane transfers or try something new together, such as diving or water sports – after all it will be a trip of a lifetime. Surprise flight upgrades are also a nice touch! Keep some budget to do a boat cruise, romantic starlit dinners, a special excursion, a hot air balloon trip, a scenic flight to make your honeymoon even more special!
For more honeymoon inspiration and ideas visit the honeymoon pages of our website.