Villa de Leyva is one of the area’s most beautiful towns, founded in 1572 by Hernàn Suàrez de Villalobos who named it after Andrès Dìas Venero de Leyva, the first president of Nueva Granada. In colonial times, Villa de Leyva played a central role and the Viceroy and his entourage spent much time here. Today, the city is a colonial jewel with an enormous plaza of surrounded by Spanish style houses, small alleys, cobblestone streets and the XVII century parochial church.
Pousada de San Antonio is located in the historic colonial town of Villa de Leyva, just a few blocks from the main square. The reception area doubles as an art gallery, displaying paintings by local artists and you will also find other works of art scattered around the hotel. The simple but comfortable rooms have modern amenities and there is also a small restaurant and relaxation area.
A few kilometres from Villa de Leyva and not to be missed is the Convento del Santo Ecce Homo, founded by the Dominicans. The pavement is made of local stone embedded with fossils, and the chapel has a magnificent golden altarpiece with a small Ecce Homo image.