Solar do Rosario
Ouro preto, Minas Gerais, Brazil
At a Glance
Located at the heart of Ouro Preto, with views of many of the beautiful churches
Lots of rooms have their own balconies overlooking the street
All rooms are decorated in a colonial style
15-minute walk away from the centre of town
Pleasant terraced outdoor area
Best time to Visit
Good time to visit
Average time to visit
Minas Gerais is a year round destination, but generally hotter, with heavier rain and higher humidity from November to March. Autumn/winter (May to September) is drier, but it gets much colder here than in neighbouring states, with temperatures sometimes dropping to 5C. April, May and June are the best months, when everything is green but it's drier with cool evenings.
To start planning your holiday to Solar do Rosario
Solar do Rosario is a beautifully restored 19th century colonial house in the historic centre of Ouro Preto, a city in Brazil that is famous for its magnificent architecture and cultural heritage. It is located next to the Rosário Church.
Solar do Rosario's main house originally dates from the 19th century. The building was completely renovated and restructured to comfortably accommodate 41 elegantly appointed guest rooms and suites, in keeping with the local character of the area.
The hotel has a privileged location next to the Rosario Church, with an amazing view of the churches of S. Francisco de Paulo, Nossa Senhora do Rosario, São José and of the Pico do Itacolomi. It is also within easy reach of the city's other main attractions.
Accommodation at Solar do Rosário comprises a total of 41 guest rooms, divided into 13 Standard Rooms (16m square), 16 Luxury Rooms (23m square), eight Suites (47m square) and four Superior Suites (85m square). The rooms are elegantly decorated and featured fine Egyptian cotton linens, cable television, WiFi and fridge. Most of the rooms (with the exception of the Standard Rooms) have balconies and the Suites and Superior Suites all have separate sitting areas.
Children are welcome to come and stay at Solar do Rosario although there are no specific facilities or activities available for children at the hotel.
At Solar do Rosário you can find a cosy restaurant serving delicious breakfast, lunch, dinner and afternoon tea, an excellent wine cellar, a Scotch bar overlooking the Nossa Senhora do Rosário church, heated pool with hydromassage, fitness room and a natural pool.
Guests at Solar do Rosário can enjoy wandering the cobbled streets of Ouro Preto, with its wealth of beautiful colonial architecture and many museums, art galleries, quaint shops and restaurants serving local cuisine. It is also possible to arrange a visit to one of the nearby mines and to the Itacolomi State Park, with a variety of flora and fauna and great for hiking.
Hotel Solar do Rosario re-entered the Ouro Preto hotel scene in grand style in 2008, after a major restoration which adhered to historic guidelines and left the 19th century building in glowing condition. The 41 guest rooms include 12 suites. All accommodations have up-to-date amenities such as air conditioning and wireless internet. The old solar - a Portuguese word for mansion - stands majestic among other architectural treasures in Ouro Preto, a Unesco World Heritage Site. Located by the Rosario Church, the hotel is a great departure point for long walks along the picturesque baroque streets.
Paraty, Rio de Janeiro, Tiradentes, Ouro Preto, Salvador
from SGD $5800 pp 12 nights
- Wander along cobbled streets flanked by pastel coloured buildings as you discover the cultural delights of Brazil on this in-depth trip through some of the country's best-preserved colonial cities.
- No trip to Brazil is complete without touching down in Rio de Janeiro, one of the world’s most iconic cities with its famous golden beaches, instantly recognisable landmarks and picture-perfect photo opportunities.
- Finish the trip in vibrant Salvador de Bahia, once the capital of Brazil and the birthplace of Afro-Brazilian culture, the city pulsates to the sound of beating drums and colourful dancers on every street corner.
Rio, Parati, Ouro Preto, Tiradentes & Ibitipoca
from SGD $14100 pp 14 nights
- Discover a different side of Brazil that will take you back to its colonial heyday
- Marvel at the incredible architecture of Ouro Preto and Tiradentes, based on gold and diamonds
- Ibitipoca is a lovely plantation house in a wonderful natural reserve where the rare woolly spider monkey lives
Location & directions
Ouro preto, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Solar do Rosario is located in the historical centre of Ouro Preto, in the inland state of Minas Gerais, 95km from Belo Horizonte.
- 100% financial protection
- 24/7 emergency assistance
- Firsthand knowledge
- Renowned service
- Award-winning tour operator