Grano de Oro
At a Glance
An oasis of calm in a bustling city
Friendly, personalized service
Fantastic restaurant in elegant surroundings
The perfect place to relax and unwind at the start or end your Costa Rican adventure
Centrally located in San Jose
Only 25 minutes from the Airport
An ideal pick up spot for Pacuare
Best time to Visit
Good time to visit
Average time to visit
Grano de Oro enjoys a near–perfect temperature of around 27°C all year, although November to April are the best months for sunshine. The ‘Green’ season, from May to October, is a good time to visit: it’s typicall sunny in the mornings with rain in the afternoons. The quietest period is April to early June. The rain can be particularly strong in September and October.
Call us on 858 345 1763 to start planning your vacation to Grano de Oro or take a look at our itineraries to Costa Rica
The Grano de Oro is a charming turn of the century mansion. The atrium terrace and corridors have sparkling fountains and lush tropical planting, and the rooftop deck offers soothing jacuzzis and is a great spot for catching a few rays.
The Grano de Oro is located on a quiet residential street approximately five minutes drive from downtown San Jose.
The hotel has 37 unique and tastefully decorated rooms, and 3 eclectic signature suites, all offering a high level of comfort. This elegant property is like an oasis in a bustling city, with its tranquil atmosphere, a light-filled interior courtyard and a lovely rooftop terrace.
Dining is high on the agenda at Grano de Oro and the restaurant is known for being one of San José's finest, serving continental cuisine in a warm and intimate atmosphere.
Grano de Oro is the perfect place for visitors to the capital to relax in style and comfort at the beginning or end of an action-packed trip.
Guided tours and visits to the city's museums can be arranged from the Grano de Oro. There are also many excursions that can be arranged outside the city, including coffee plantation tours and visits to the Poas and Irazu Volcanoes.
Jenny Weidemann (Staff)
What a find in the bustling city of San Jose! This historic mansion surprises with lush plants, a beautiful courtyard and well decorated rooms. The complimentary snacks are a nice welcome after a long flight, but the restaurant also offers a great variety of tasty dishes. The rooftop jacuzzi terrace is a nice spot to relax and enjoy this little oasis. The beds are comfortable and the calming natural sounds of the little fountain right outside my room ( #23) helped me relax and unwind while busy downtown is just steps away.
Sonia Bungaroo (Staff)
A really impressive hotel in the city center, this hotel is a really different option to most of the hotels that are near the San Jose Airport, with its Victorian Mansion setting, Colonial styling, great service and really incredible food. The hotel offers a real insight into the history of the capital, and encourages an engagement with the glittering history of the colonial past, with its luxurious panelling, internal fountains and romantic little grottos. The service matches this old-age styling, with all staff subtly meeting any need or question, an experience that is quite special especially in the restaurant where it just makes the impressive food served an addition to the fantastic dining experience. For something really special - go all out and enjoy the presidential suite if you want to start your stay in Costa Rica with a real bang - it's views over the city alone are to die for, but add in the two person hot tub and lavish styling, and this is a real room to remember.
Dominic Atterton (Staff)
Arriving at the hotel after a long flight is a really enjoyable experience. Its not too big with crowds of people in the lobby and business types rushing around instead its incredibly calm and welcoming. The hotel has been converted from a historic mansion in the heart of San Jose and the atmosphere still retains the feel of someones home with plenty of antiques about the place and unique little touches in the public areas. My room was a Patio room with a pretty internal courtyard and water feature. There werent really any views so the courtyard is welcome as it provides a nice focal point and drifting off to the sound of the fountain was perfect. Dinner in the hotels restaurant was excellent and ideal for a first night but be warned portions are huge!
Active Costa Rica
San Jose, Turrialba District, Arenal and Santa Teresa
from $6200 pp 11 nights
- Get off the beaten track to a remote jungle hideaway
- Ride rushing rapids and zip-line through the canopy
- Spot howler monkeys, sloths and brilliantly colored birds
Costa Rica Uncovered
San Jose, Turrialba, Heredia, Osa Peninsula, Uvita
from $5100 pp 10 nights
- Plunge into your epic journey visiting the outdoor wonders of Poas Volcano, Doka Coffee Estate and the famous La Paz Waterfall
- Jump aboard your raft for an exhilarating white-water rafting journey along the Pacuare river, taking in the lush rainforest as you go
- Immerse yourself in the charming and remote Osa Peninsula, one of the most biologically intense places on earth
Epic Costa Rica
Central Valley, Tortuguero, Puerto Viejo, Pacuare, San Jose
from $7000 pp 13 nights
- Stay at a boutique retreat surrounded by gorgeous scenery where you can savour the perfect cup of coffee in the morning, visit volcanoes during the day and enjoy spectacular sunsets and cocktails in the evening
- Spot sloths hanging out in trees and caiman swimming alongside your boat as you explore the pristine jungle and waterways of Tortuguero National Park
- Top up your tan and while away the hours in a hammock whilst sipping rum punch from a coconut, accompanied by pulsating reggae tones in the lively Caribbean beach town of Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Family Fun in Costa Rica
San Jose, Pacuare, Osa Peninsula, Arenal & Papagayo
from $8000 pp 13 nights
- Adrenaline pumped activities to suit everyone in the family
- Amazing wildlife experiences from sloth spying to kayaking with dolphins
- Robinson Crusoe inspired jungle lodges to bring out the explorer in everyone
Location & directions
The Grano de Oro is located on a quiet residential street just off Paseo Colón, a short taxi ride from the city center.
- 24/7 concierge service
- 24/7 emergency assistance
- Firsthand knowledge
- Renowned service
- Award-winning tour operator