Hotel Maria Cristina
San Sebastian, Spain
At a Glance
San Sebastian's best known and most luxurious hotel
Location within walking distance of beach and city center
Lovely river, sea and city views
Gastronomic center offering gourmet restaurants and a cookery school
Best time to Visit
Good time to visit
Average time to visit
San Sebastian is a lovely in the summer sun, but August can be quite busy. It can be cold in the winter months, and pretty quiet, but there's plenty to see and do in town all year round.
Call us on to start planning your vacation to Hotel Maria Cristina or take a look at our itineraries to Spain
Located in San Sebastian’s historic city center, Hotel Maria Cristina is surrounded by gardens and promenades just a short walk from the main beach of the city, La Concha. This historic palace is this charming city's most iconic luxury hotel.
In its commanding position overlooking the Urumea River, the Hotel Maria Cristina has been closely linked to the cultural life of the city of San Sebastian for more than a century. The hotel's namesake, Spain’s regent Maria Cristina, was the first person to cross the threshold on the day it opened in 1912. The hotel has hosted stars and dignitaries for over 100 years, including illustrious visitors to the city's famous film festival such as Elizabeth Taylor and Bette Davis - the latter having a suite named after her.
This historic hotel makes for a relaxing haven in the heart of the city, using a calming palette of soft greys and whites throughout the tastefully restored interior. In a city famed for its gastronomy, the Maria Cristina's culinary offering will not disappoint - from the elegant breakfast room to the Asian restaurant 'Cafe Saigon', featuring a varied menu of Japanese and Vietnamese specialties. Hotel Maria Cristina is also home to their very own culinary center and state-of-the-art cookery school. Here, guests can learn the secrets of Michelin star cooking, try their hand at pinxto making with the experts, or accompany the chef's visit to the local market in search of the freshest seasonal ingredients used in Basque cooking. Facilities also include a 24 hour gym to burn off some of the unavoidable calories acquired by a stay in San Sebastian!
Rooms and suites at the Maria Cristina are light and bright, blending traditional Belle Epoque architecture with contemporary touches to create a relaxing ambience. Both couples and families are well catered for with a range of interconnecting room options, and the Terrace Suites are an ideal choice for couples seeking stylish interiors with a private outdoor spot to enjoy a sundowner after a day exploring the city.
This charming property is an ideal base for discovering San Sebastian's cultural and culinary scene, as well as venturing further out to the surrounding areas of Bilbao and the iconic Guggenheim, or on a wine tasting trail through the vineyards of La Rioja.
Experience hospitality on a grand scale in the hotel’s 136 rooms and suites. Style, grace, modern technology and a range of services combine to make for a restful and memorable stay. Choose from Classic, Deluxe or Premium rooms with either garden or river views, or treat yourself to one of the magnificent suites, including four Royal Suites, some of which feature terraces offering stunning city views.
La Rioja wine region
Explore the famed Rioja wine region on a full-day tour of the area. Known for producing some of Europe's best wines, here you'll have the chance to visit boutique wineries and sample some of the local products.
Private tour of Bilbao
Once an industrial city, Bilbao has been transformed in recent years into a hub for art and architecture. Explore the best of the city, from the traditional architecture to the more contemporary, culminating in the iconic Guggenheim Museum.
Tour of the Guggenheim with an expert art guide
A truly iconic monument, Bilbao's Guggenheim Museum has transformed the city. Tour this incredible art gallery with your private guide and admire the huge contemporary art collection inside, as well as the impressive building itself.
Madrid, Seville, San Sebastian, Barcelona & Costa Brava
from $10500 pp 14 nights
- The ultimate exploration of Spain, from its key cities to its stunning coastlines
- Discover the best of Spanish art and architecture in Barcelona and Madrid
- Indulge in the culinary delights of the Basque Country in San Sebastian
Gourmet Basque Country
Bilbao, San Sebastian & La Rioja
from $5400 pp 6 nights
- Discover the flavors of Spain in this region celebrated for its cuisine
- Sample some of Spain's best wines in La Rioja
- Explore the quaint fishing villages dotted along the Basque Country's beautiful coastline
San Sebastian, Barcelona & Costa Brava
from $6200 pp 8 nights
- Discover the very best of Basque cuisine in Michelin-starred restaurants and pinxto bars
- Explore the highlights of Barcelona, including Antoni Gaudi's iconic masterpieces
- Admire the Gothic architecture of Girona and the charming fishing villages of the Costa Brava
Grand Tour of Spain & Portugal
Barcelona, San Sebastian, Madrid, Seville, Lisbon, Porto & Douro Valley
from $11900 pp 21 nights
- Discover the highlights of Spain and Portugal on this all-encompassing itinerary
- Indulge in delicious food and wine in the Basque Country and the Douro Valley
- Wind your way through the colorful streets of Porto and Lisbon
Spain by Private Jet: The Ultimate Foodie Tour
San Sebastian, Seville & Mallorca
from $9400 pp 5 nights
- Discover the flavors of Spain in the utmost luxury aboard your own private jet
- Enjoy delicious meals in traditional tapas bars and Michelin-starred restaurants
- The perfect indulgent itinerary for the ultimate celebration with family and friends
Location & directions
San Sebastian, Spain
Hotel Maria Cristina is located in the center of San Sebastian within easy walking distance of the Old Quarter.
- 24/7 concierge service
- 24/7 emergency assistance
- Firsthand knowledge
- Renowned service
- Award-winning tour operator