Tiger Tops Tharu Lodge
Chitwan National Park, Nepal
At a Glance
Small lodge located in the buffer area of Chitwan National Park
Superb staff and excellent naturalists
Superb cultural interactions, through bullock-cart rides through local villages and a visit to the local school
Eco-friendly, with a wonderful sustainable tourism policy
Best time to Visit
Good time to visit
Average time to visit
Nepal has a Monsoonal climate with four main seasons. Fall and spring are the two most favourable seasons for visiting Nepal. Fall (September to early December) brings in clear weather with sunny days and warm nights. Spring (March to May) with occasional rain falls. From June to September, is the monsoon season. Uncomfortable time to visit as the climate of Nepal at this time of year brings about hot weather and rain falls almost every day.
Call us on 858 523 9000 to start planning your vacation to Tiger Tops Tharu Lodge or take a look at our itineraries to Nepal
Tiger Tops Tharu Lodge is located in the buffer area outside of Chitwan National Park in Nepal. It is exceptionally well run, with a wide range of excursions, superb food and attentive staff.
Tiger Tops Tharu Lodge is a charming lodge located just outside of Chitwan National Park and providing an excellent base to blend a wildlife and cultural experience. The lodge has 12 rooms, each with en suite bathrooms and also some tented accomodation should you wish be closer to the sounds of nature. Rooms are built in the local rustic Tharu style from natural materials and have ceiling fans but not air-conditioning ( as part of Tiger-Tops commitment to eco-tourism) Responsible Tourism is very much at the heart of what Tiger Tops do
The staff at Tharu Lodge ( may of whom are local) are very attentive, ensuring that your overall experience in the jungle is as good as it can be. The food comes from their organic garden and lazy lunches are taken al fresco by the pool. Dinners are generally served in the main dining/bar area or sometimes they set up tables and chairs outside should the weather be nice.
Guests at Tharu Lodge can also experience the daily life of the elephants and how they move, play, eat, and sleep. Follow the elephants on their morning walk to the Narayani river, watching these beautiful creatures grazing in the morning mist as you can enjoy a cup of Nepali tea. Later in the day enjoy the chance to learn how to make kuchis, traditional “elephant sandwiches”, and see how the mahouts interact with theses fascinating animals. There are also some tented rooms available at The Elephant Camp nearby for those wishing to wake up close to the elephants and follow their daily routine although we would generally only recomend these for a night to add some variation.
Wildlife experiences are varied, with a combination of river, walking and jeep safaris. You will probably see an array of bird life, rhino and gharial crocodile, but the big cats are a little elusive especially being concealed by Chitwan's long grass.
Tiger Tops have long championed a sustainable eco-friendly approach to running their lodges. Power comes from solar energy and they produce organic food. Tiger Tops supports a lot of social development projects in the local area they also do not chain or ride their elephants many of whom have been rescued and are in retirement.
Overall Tiger tops Tharu is it is a wonderful 2-3 day experience blending both cultural and wildlife aspects.
There are 12 rooms at Tiger Tops Tharu Lodge, all of which are en-suite.
There is a pool, a main dining room/bar and extensive grounds.
Emma Mark (Staff)
Sara Wells (Staff)
The 12 room lodge is small and intimate, with impeccable service and food and outstanding enthusiastic naturalists who bring an air of excitement to your wildlife experience. The range of activities on offer at this property will ensure guests have an action packed stay.
Game drives in Chitwan National Park
Take a game drive in the buffer zone of Chitwan National Park. These game drives can be on foot, or by boat. These experiences take place in the early morning and late afternoon.
Jeep Safari at Chitwan National Park
Spot wild animals at Chitwan National Park on an open jeep.
Nature Walk at Chitwan
Experience the jungles of the lower Nepal plains up close with the nature walk.
River Safari at Chitwan National Park
Enjoy a leisurely canoe ride down Rapti river in Chitwan National Park.
Tharu Cultural Show at Chitwan
Enjoy a performance by the local Tharus in their traditional dress.
Village Walk at Chitwan
Learn more about the Tharus, the native people of Nepal Terai, on the village walk.
Kathmandu, Pokhara, Chitwan National Park
from $4100 pp 9 nights
- This trip is great for the adventurous amongst you who are happy to scale river rapids, trail the majestic Bengal tiger and hike through mountain passes
- Nepal is a kaleidoscope of colors, whether its countless fluttering prayer flags adorning the stupas and temples or the bright white mountain top snow contrasting the verdant valleys below, the scenes are truly stunning
- Nepal’s trekking is world class and the Annapurna region is a fantastic place to spend a few days hiking, exploring quaint mountain villages and meeting charming locals along the way
Imagine Nepal and Bhutan
Kathmandu, Pokhara, Chitwan National Park, Thimphu, Punakha and Paro
from $7000 pp 14 nights
- The epic Himalayan landscapes that stretch across these countries are awe inspiring and we suggest taking time to sit and enjoy the views
- Bhutan measures its wealth its people’s happiness; this ethos will rub off on you creating a sense of zen and tranquillity
- For those that love the great outdoors and vast open spaces coupled with charming people and fascinating cultures then this is the perfect trip for you
Kathmandu, Bardia National Park, Chitwan National Park, Pokhara
from $5100 pp 12 nights
- This trip is for the adventurous amongst you who are willing to head off the beaten track in search of stunning flora and fauna
- Nepal is a stunning and relatively untouched corner of the world so during the trip you can experience breath-taking scenery and charming people
- Nepal has everything from national parks to immense mountains and this trip will allow you to delve into some of its most cherished places
Location & directions
Chitwan National Park, Nepal
Located outside of Chitwan National Park in the buffer area.
- 24/7 concierge service
- 24/7 emergency assistance
- Firsthand knowledge
- Renowned service
- Award-winning tour operator