Trinity College & The Book of Kells
The Book of Kells was written around the year 800 AD and is one of the most beautifully illuminated manuscripts in the world. Its 680 pages of vellum contain the Latin texts of the Four Gospels. It was written around 800AD by Irish monks and later buried in the ground for fear of the Vikings. After being eventually rediscovered, it was deposited for safe keeping in Trinity College Dublin in 1653.