Leopard Trails - Wilpattu National Park
Wilpattu National Park, Sri Lanka
At a Glance
Wilpattu offers a peaceful setting to catch a glimpse of some of Sri Lanka's most elusive wildlife
Each tent is comfortable and spacious
Children will love learning about the wildlife and the Leopard Trails team are great at keeping all ages entertained
The chef will prepare a delicious array of dishes to suit you
Enjoy sundowners and later some story telling around the campfire
Best time to Visit
Good time to visit
Average time to visit
The climate in the north and eastern coastal regions of Sri Lanka is influenced by the north-eastern monsoon which takes place between October and January. During these months you will see the most wind and rain whilst between May and September the weather is much more pleasant and drier.
Call us on 858 523 9000 to start planning your vacation to Leopard Trails - Wilpattu National Park or take a look at our itineraries to North Western Province
Enjoy an authentic safari experience with Leopard Trails in Wilpattu National Park. Stay in a luxury tent, enjoy some story-telling by the fire and learn about many different species that inhabit the park on spectacular sightings with your expert guide.
Creating bespoke tented safaris, Leopard Trails will take you on a journey through the quiet but magnificent Wilpattu National Park. Go in search of some incredible wildlife and nature experiences; the main draw to visit Wilpattu being the leopard and sloth bear. Due to the topography of the park and the formation of small lakes, there are plenty of different animals to spot and your guides will ensure you have an authentic and enjoyable safari experience.
Just four to five hours from Colombo, you will arrive at your camp in time for lunch. Enjoy a delicious meal prepared by the chef followed by some down time to get used to your surroundings. At around 3.30pm you will head on an evening safari. Each vehicle is designed to allow optimum comfort and space during a game drive, allowing you to get the best vantage point of Sri Lanka's most incredible wildlife. Wilpattu is Sri Lanka's largest National Park, but sat closed throughout Sri Lanka's civil war. Now the park is peaceful and the numbers of leopard in particular are starting to grow once more making it an ideal time to visit.
In the evening head back for drinks by the campfire swapping stories, a hearty meal and time to relax under the stars. There is even a library where you can get stuck into a good book.
The accommodation is made up of spacious waterproof tents each with en-suite bathrooms. Classic Tents are all fitted with air conditioning and each have their own open air shower. There is also one Luxury Tent which benefit from more space and an indoor shower with solar powered hot water.
Make sure you get a good night's sleep in preparation for your morning safari. In the early hours of the morning rise early and go in search for a glimpse of the elusive leopard and other fascinating animals.
Each tent can sleep up to three guests and includes a private verandah, a/c, bathroom with flushable toilet and a separate safari shower. There are also several plug bases, which can be used to charge laptops, digital cameras, phones and other small electrical items. All tents have comfortable twin or double beds. At night, your room is filled with several elegant candles.
Leopard Trails welcomes families with young children, offering an exciting and educational experience for younger guests.
The dining area has a Lounge Tent where guests can enjoy the bar, small library and comfortable sofas and lounge chairs. Drinks are served around a campfire meals are arranged under the stars. Both Sri Lankan and international food is served, all with local produce. For larger parties, delicious barbecues can be arranged.
Spend your time at Leopard Trails on safari in Wilpattu National Park, Sri Lanka's largest national park. With a limit of up to 6 guests per safari vehicle, you will have a personal and authentic safari experience.
Sophie Jones (Staff)
The guiding at Wilpattu was extremely intuitive and obviously tailored to the interests of each guest. Had the most amazing wildlife experience with 20 minutes completely alone with a leopard. Nearly had the whole game drive on our own without seeing another vehicle which was fantastic as this is not common at other game reserves.
Jack Mace (Staff)
I had the pleasure of staying one night at the brilliant Leopard Safari's and I had a wonderful time. They've got a really professional but fun set up. From the moment you arrive the service is impeccable, nothing is too much hassle. The tents are spacious, well-decorated and benefit from AC. The chef produces incredible food throughout and the drinks are free-flowing! The real selling point isn't the tents, the food or the location but the staff. Their passion for their product is palatable and it's clear why they are part of the most experienced guiding program in the country. The drives are filled with stories, facts and humor. This becomes evident after you leave the park where you'll stop off if something catches their eye, it really is infectious! I'd highly recommend doing two nights here so on the full day you can pack up breakfast and lunch and cover some real ground in this beautiful park.
Safari in Wilpattu National Park
Head into Wilpattu National Park for a morning or evening safari to marvel at the range of wildlife.
Sailing & Snorkelling Excursion
Climb aboard a beautiful 48ft catamaran, and sail along the south coast of Sri Lanka stopping at private coves to stand-up paddle board, snorkel over colorful reefs, swim or soak up the sun while your crew take the helm.
Highlights of Northern Sri Lanka and The Maldives
Kotugoda, Wilpattu, Anuradhapura, Kotmale & South Malé Atoll
from $6700 pp 14 nights
- Spot leopards in Wilpattu alongside water buffalo, Sloth bear and an incredible variety of birdlife
- Explore the ancient cities where your guide can take you around the ruins of Anuradhapura on bikes and an early morning visit to the Sigiriya Rock Fortress
- Visit a tea factory and walk through tea plantations
Off The Beaten Track Sri Lanka
Colombo, Anamaduwa, Wilpattu National Park, Anuradhapura, Kandy, Gal Oya National Park, Koslanda & Galle
from $5600 pp 16 nights
- Ideal for couples who are looking to get off the beaten track and explore the lesser visited and more wild areas of Sri Lanka
- Enjoy hidden experiences and surprise as you go along your journey, waterfalls, natural pools, beautiful gardens, old temples.
- Enjoy a boat safari on Gal Oya's Senanayake Samudraya Lake - an amazing place for birdwatching
Sri Lanka for Teenagers
Colombo, Wilpattu National Park, Hill Country, Nuwara Eliya & Tangalle
from $3700 pp 13 nights
- Perfect itinerary for a family with teenagers - a great mix of adventure and relaxation
- A private driver/guide throughout giving you complete flexibility
- Spot an elusive leopard in Wilpattu National Park
Sri Lanka in Depth
Colombo, Wilpattu National Park, Cultural Triangle, Kandy, Hill Country, Galle & Bentota
from $5800 pp 17 nights
- We provide your own private driver/guide throughout who will show you around the sights, yet retain the flexibility to offer more unique highlights away from the crowds
- Perfect for guests interested in covering plenty of ground as part of an active itinerary
- Chance to visit two National Parks in Sri Lanka, with brilliant opportunities for wildlife sightings.
Sri Lanka in the Summer
Colombo, Wilpattu National Park, Ancient Cities & Trincomalee
from $3500 pp 11 nights
- During the summer months, the north and east coast is the best place to avoid the rains
- This itinerary really takes you off the beaten track, while still enabling the staples of Sri Lanka - culture, adventure, wildlife and relaxation
- An excellent summer honeymoon option for more adventurous couples or a brilliant off the beaten track family trip
Wild Sri Lanka
Kotuguda, Wilpattu, Sigiriya, Gal Oya National Park, Nuwara Eliya, Yala National Park & Galle
from $5500 pp 15 nights
- Get off-the-beaten track with this 15-night itinerary
- This trip takes in three of Sri Lanka's National Parks where you will have the opportunity to see some incredible wildlife
- With expert guiding throughout, this is a perfect trip for nature lovers
Location & directions
Wilpattu National Park, Sri Lanka
Leopard Trails is located just outside Wilpattu National Park in located within the north-western buffer zone.
How to get there
Fly into Colombo’s Bandaranaike International Airport. From there Leopard Trails, Wilpattu is a 5-hour drive. Guests are met by the Leopard Trails team at a nearby location, transferred into their four-wheel vehicle and driven on a rustic track to the site just outside the park's entrance.