The River Resort
Champasak, Southern Laos, Laos
At a Glance
A small and contemporary boutique hotel that offers the best levels of comfort in Southern Laos
The property sits in a great location, ideally placed for visiting the 4000 islands, Vat Phou Temple and even the Bolaven Plateau
The views from the resort over the Mekong river are uninterrupted and very magical
The infinity pool is a real highlight, with fantastic river views
The staff, service and quality of food is fairly good when compared to most other hotels in Laos
There are lots of great activities, from cycling to kayaking and from river cruises to relaxing massages
Best time to Visit
Good time to visit
Average time to visit
Laos enjoys a warm, tropical climate year-round. The cooler, drier months of the year are from November to March; however, temperatures rarely drop below 22°C during the day. Humidity is highest between May and September, when sunbursts follow tropical downpours and temperatures can climb to 35°C. However, the average year-round temperature is a pleasant 25°C.
Call us on to start planning your vacation to The River Resort or take a look at our itineraries to Southern Laos
With 28 rooms ensconced in tropical gardens and lush paddy fields, and views out to the Mekong river, The River Resort is easily southern Laos' most impressive hotel. It's an ideal base for exploring the 4000 islands and UNESCO protected Vat Phou.
The River Resort differs from most other colonial style boutique hotels found in Laos, it's sleek and contemporary with sharp lines and modern interiors. This suits its vibrant tropical surroundings and the mighty Mekong that it overlooks. Despite its modern interior, the property is incredibly environmentally friendly, using vegetables and rice grown within the grounds. They also employ 90% of their staff from local villages.
Rooms sit within two storey villas and have wrap around balconies. 14 of these sit on the waterfront, with six perching behind, overlooking the gardens, paddy fields and ponds.
One of the main draws of the property is the glassy infinity pool that boasts the most glorious views over the Mekong river. We found a dip in here such welcome respite in the steamy surroundings, and sunsets seen from here are worth the journey alone. The open sided restaurant serves wonderful fresh breakfasts, casual lunches and fine dining cuisine in the evenings. If you prefer, al fresco dining can be arranged on the banks of the Mekong or even a private BBQ.
A range of activities are available within the resort, these really add to the experience; choose from riverboat cruises, kayaking, market visits, a traditional baci ceremony experience, and relaxing massages in the sala.
Located approximately 30 kilometers from Pakse, The River Resort acts as a fantastic base for exploring southern Laos. It's possible to visit the famous 4000 islands, Bolaven Plateau and Vat Phou from here. It's also an idea spot for relaxing at the end of your journey through Laos.
The contemporary rooms are divided into two categories; Pond/Garden rooms and River Front rooms. They all sit within duplex villas, home to two separate rooms. The 6 Pond/Garden rooms have views out to wide terraced paddy fields and ponds enjoyed by either a terrace or a balcony. They are beautifully decorated with contemporary Laos and Thai textiles, modern furniture and clean tasteful bathrooms. The 14 River Front rooms have a very similar layout and decor yet enjoy remarkable views of the Mekong.
The River Resort welcomes families, although there are no specific facilities for them. The spacious infinity pool, kayaking, complimentary bicycles, acres of gardens and visits to local markets all make for an enjoyable stay for young children and teenagers.
Facilities include the Riverside Sala restaurant, an infinity pool and a small spa.
Clare Barratt (Staff)
In my opinion this is the best place to stay if you want to explore southern Laos. The Riverfront Resort has a spectacular position on the side of the Mekong River with the majority of the rooms offering river views. This is the perfect place to stay if you want to enjoy some activities or indeed just relax amongst beautiful surroundings. There are two pools here and lovely gardens for you to enjoy. There is also a small and simple spa which is appealing especially if youve had a long day exploring. The staff here were very friendly and helpful, food was pretty good too with an Asian and western menu. Rooms are quite modern and have lots of light and windows so you can make the most of the views.
Best of Indochina
Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hue, Hoi An, Saigon, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Champasak, Luang Prabang
from $6500 pp 14 nights
- A whirlwind trip around three countries in just two weeks, ticking off the major sites in each location.
- The capital of Vietnam, Hanoi is in the north of the country and conveniently located just a few hours drive from the world famous Halong Bay where dramatic limestone karsts and islands erupt from the sea.
- Halong Bay, Hue ancient city, Hoi An, the Angkor Temple Complex, Wat Phou in Champasak and Luang Prabang are all protected UNESCO World Heritage sites and well worth visiting.
Boutique Laos and Cambodia
Luang Prabang, Champasak, Siem Reap & Kep
from $3800 pp 12 nights
- This journey really is a perfect two-week adventure. It's both romantic and adventurous and appeals to anyone who wants to avoid the crowds, experiencing truly unique parts of both countries. A perfect trip for active couples and families with teenagers.
- Stay in beautiful, small and charming hotels that feel in-keeping with Laos and Cambodia's rich culture and history.
- Really get away from the crowds at Angkor Wat with our specialist guides who will be able to take you to lesser known temples during the peak times, and then return to the more popular sites after the groups have left.
Vientiane, Champasak and Luang Prabang
from $2500 pp 9 nights
- Explore UNESCO town Luang Prabang, the sleepy capital of Vientiane and the untouched rural scenery of Southern Laos all in one itinerary
- Explore the Royal Palace, swim in a refreshing waterfall, witness the Mekong roaring around 4000 islands and soak up the atmosphere at Wat Phou, Angkor Wat's little brother.
- In Vietnam they have a saying, 'Vietnamese grow rice, but Laotians watch rice grow'. Take it slow in this sleepy hidden gem of a country, meeting friendly locals and enjoying the beautiful scenery.
Location & directions
Champasak, Southern Laos, Laos
The River Resort is located about 30km from Pakse, in Southern Laos.