At a Glance
Located in rural Japan, close by to historic Takayama and UNESCO protected Shirakawago
The ryokan has only 8 rooms, so it feels traditional, intimate and welcoming
Sit around the 'irori' hearth, a local fireplace that takes center stage in the property
One of the few remaining high quality ryokans with a traditional Gassho-zukuri thatched roof
Experience local Japanese food cooked in a traditional way by your hosts
Try a traditional shared onsen for those who feel brave enough
Best time to Visit
Good time to visit
Average time to visit
Japan kicks off its year with cold winter days and the odd snowfall. Although temperatures occasionally drop below freezing, winter (December to February) is usually reasonable. Spring (March to May) brings pleasant, warm days, and, of course, cherry blossoms – early April is probably the best time to view the blooms. Summer (June to August) is hot and muggy. Late June can see torrential rains. The temperature and humidity are at their worst in August. Apart from spring, autumn (September to November) is the most pleasant season as temperatures cool down to a cosy level and days are often clear and fine. Fall also means the return of the dramatic foliage season, when the parks and green areas of the city mellow into varying hues of orange and red. In the Japanese Alps the temperatures are much cooler and snow is likely during the cooler months.
Call us on to start planning your vacation to Wanosato Takayama or take a look at our itineraries to Kanazawa and the Kiso Valley
A beautiful Japanese Ryokan just twenty minutes from historic Takayama, Wanosato is surrounded by forested hills and traditional Japanese villages. Dating back 160 years, with a rare Gasso-zukuri thatched roof, Wanosato is a truly unique place.
Dating back over 160 years, and with only eight rooms, it js immediately clear that Wanosao is a special place to stay. Perched in a forested area next to Miyagawa River, Wanosato is just 20 minutes from historic Takayama, and not far from the UNESCO protected village of Shiragawago. Wanosato is both brilliantly located and full of charm.
The ancient minka (house of the people) has a Gassho-zukuri roof, a unique thatched and steeply pitched roof that is only found in this small region of Japan. Inside you'll find traditional and spacious rooms, as well as an irori fireplace at the center, creating a warm and cosy atmosphere each evening and the perfect place to enjoy sake and share stories. There are no private hot spring baths, but there is a beautiful communal onsen for guests. Dining is an elaborate affair, with the hosts serving local and traditional Japanese cuisine.
The eight rooms are simple but comfortable traditional Japanese style rooms with private bathrooms, hardwood floors, futon beds and wooden beams. They are full of character and very in keeping with a traditional ryokan.
Tokyo, Takayama, Kanazawa & Kyoto
from $8800 pp 10 nights
- A fantastic combination of classic cities such as Tokyo and Kyoto, with some time off the beaten track destinations, giving a great feel for what Japan is all about
- Stay in a traditional ryokan, a truly authentic experience
- Visit the historic cities of Takayama and UNESCO protected Shirakawago in the scenic Kiso Valley
Honeymoon in Japan
Tokyo, Kyoto, Kanazawa & Takayama
from $7600 pp 11 nights
- Japan has an incredibly rich culture and so many interesting and exciting places to explore and new things to discover, making it a perfect honeymoon destination
- On this itinerary you'll be able to stay in a traditional ryokan, the ideal pampering experience and taste of traditional Japan
- Brilliant introduction to Japan visiting two of its most well known cities, Tokyo and Kyoto and a chance to get slightly off the tourist train in Kanazawa and Takayama
Japan in Depth
Tokyo, Nakasendo Walking Trail, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Kanazawa & Takayama
from $9700 pp 13 nights
- Amazing and extensive itinerary giving you an introduction to all the highlights of Japan combined with some more off the beaten track destinations
- Included in the itinerary is a stay in a ryokan, allowing you experience Japanese culture in a unique way
- Explore the beautiful cities of Kyoto and Kanazawa with their wonderfully preserved Geisha districts
Location & directions
Wanosato is approximately 20 minutes from historic Takayama, sitting in the stunning mountainous of the Gifu prefecture.