"I inherited my passion for travel from my mother"
I have always had an enormous passion for travel. This started at a young age, as a result of my mother’s Dutch heritage, where we would frequently drive through Europe to visit family in her home country. However, it wasn’t until I was a young teenager, that my love for the Far East began when I travelled half way across the globe to visit a school friend in Indonesia. I was totally mesmerised by the culture, which hugely differed from what I was accustomed to growing up in London, and the diverse way of life instantly captured my imagination.
I then planned my gap year and was due to spend three months in Nepal teaching English, however, after just two weeks, we had to leave due to political unrest. During my short time in Kathmandu, my school friend and I had made friends with other gap year students and between us we hatched a plan to travel around Asia and South Africa. We took in Sri Lanka, Singapore, Malaysia, Maldives, Thailand, Indonesia and much of South Africa. We ended the trip with a three month stint in Canada where I gained my ski instructing qualification. After this incredible experience, travel became an integral part of my life, and since joining Scott Dunn in 2010, I have been lucky enough to explore these countries further, as well as sampling the delights of Vietnam, Hong Kong, Laos, China, and soon to be Burma and Japan. The discoveries I have made and experiences I’ve had are once in a lifetime, and I always enjoy sharing them with our guests.
Favourite places I’ve been
Thailand – beaches, elephants, night markets, cultural, temples
China – diverse, historical, vast, noisy, fascinating
Vietnam – colourful, mopeds, fresh vegetables, markets, delicious food
Malaysia – orang-utans, trekking, adventure, active, nature
Hong Kong – shopping, cosmopolitan, modern, fashionable, noodles
Laos – spiritual, monks, temples, photogenic, kind
Maldives – crystal waters, paradise, golden sands, turtles, diving
Indonesia – friendly, green, rice paddies, diverse, sun-downers
Singapore – noodles, western, fun, safe, clean
Kenya – safari on horseback, sun-downers on the plains, scenic, game, luxury lodges
South Africa – amazing food, delicious wines, beaches, relaxed, picturesque
Oman – relaxing, cultural, stylish, fascinating, warm
01. Travellers often forget that the weight restrictions for domestic flights are usually less than the international ones. You’ll always need less than you think, so pack less! I always struggle (I pack everything but the kitchen sink!) but the last thing you want to do is be caught out with excess baggage charges!
02. Luang Prabang is a spiritual highlight in South East Asia, flooded with the traditional monks in their orange robes. It’s definitely worth getting up before sunrise to offer ‘Alms’ to the monks on their way to morning prayer – an absolute highlight!
03. The Great Wall of China is best visited at Mutianyu, which is no-where near as crowded as Badaling where most tourists head.
04. In Siem Reap it is worth an early wake up call to see Angkor Wat at sunrise. Not only is it the perfect time to take a spectacular photo, but you’ll also avoid all the crows (and the heat). Bliss!
My hot picks
01. Four Seasons Tented Camp – For an experience you’ll never forget, head to the Golden Triangle in the north of Thailand. With views out to Burma and Laos, and only 15 luxury ‘tents’ you’ll be in absolute heaven, and to top it off you’ll get to spend a day with your very own elephant!
02. Banyan Tree Ringha – a hidden gem in the Tibetan hills of China.
03. The Landmark – the most stylish and hip hotel in Hong Kong – an absolute haven after a busy day shopping.
04. Soneva Kiri – The experience starts at Bangkok Airport where you are whisked off to the island of Koh Kood by private plane, and it just gets better and better! From the amazing private pool villas, to the delicious culinary experiences, and the most stunning beach, your very own ‘Man Friday’(or butler) will go out of their way to make sure you have an unforgettable stay.
The magical treasures of the Yunnan Province
What my guests have said
"The whole process of booking the holiday was made very easy by Victoria Hogg and dealt with professionally. I would certainly look to use Scott Dunn in the future as a result of having dealt with Victoria."
"Vicky was an absolute joy did everything we needed."
"Vicky was incredible. So helpful and was always there if we needed her, even during our trip. We are really grateful to her. She had stayed at all the places we went to so we felt secure in the knowledge that we had made the correct choices. We could not recommend her highly enough."
"Vicky was amazing... thank you! As per my email... we both think you helped us with the perfect honeymoon. Looking forward to booking our next holiday with Scott Dunn as a result!"
"Excellent. Vicky was great. I am particularly grateful for the villa we were given on the island. My partner has a disability and it was really excellent that we could stagger from the villa the 10 feet to the main complex. Many thanks for arranging this with the hotel."
"We have been incredibly impressed with Ms Hogg's professionalism, knowledge, friendliness, politeness and interest in our requirements."
"Due to the flooding in Thailand we were of course apprehensive but Vicky was tremendous in allaying those fears. Furthermore the whole process of choosing the holiday was very easy because of her professionalism and experience. Thank you."
"Vicky did a truly excellent job. Her recomendations and advice were spot on. We absoluely loved our honeymoon, it was wonderful and special and just as it should be and that is in no small part due to her!"
"Vicky Hogg was great. She put the trip together based on her own direct experience. Responded immediately when I had a query whilst away."
"Thank you so much for all your hard work. As you have guessed by now I am a very fussy traveller and you have looked after me brilliantly and of course I'm converted to Scott Dunn - they have the most wonderful and knowledgeable staff who go out of their way to please!!!!"