"Australia is my favourite place in the world."
Australia was the first place I touched down on my travels after school and it’s still my favourite place in the world. I love the variety of landscapes, wide open spaces, incredible wildlife and of course the beaches… also some of the best food and wine in the world! On the same trip I also travelled up through South East Asia and loved the warm hospitality and fascinating cultures – the perfect introduction to the world of travel. Since then I’ve spent most of my free time travelling, taking me to as wide a range of places as Central America, Sri Lanka, Papua New Guinea, India and 6 weeks spent on a tiny island in the South Pacific on a dive project. For me the more off the beaten track the better.
Where I’ve been
Australia – stunning, sunshine, luxury lodges wildlife, outback, gourmet food
Burma - friendly, spiritual, peaceful, beautiful, untouched, temples, people, happiness
Vietnam – fragrant spices, bicycles, Halong Bay, Mekong Delta, Perfume River
Papua New Guinea – untouched, hill tribes, birds of paradise, traditions, headhunters
Indonesia – friendly, relaxed, diving, Bintang, nasi goreng
China – history, Great Wall, terracotta warriors, Shangri-La, crowds, unidentifiable food!
Laos – Buddhism, golden palaces, serene, temples, Mekong
Cambodia – temples, spirituality, monks, jungle, beach
Thailand – beaches, friendly, food, elephants, palm trees
India – heat, spices, backwaters, people, traffic
Fiji – remote islands, palm trees, diving, lovo, kava, bula!
Sri Lanka – peaceful, beaches, elephants, temples, tea
01. Lord Howe Island, off the east coast of Australia, has the world’s most southernmost coral reef – the perfect place to dive in the Aussie summer when it is too wet up north.
02. When in China there aren’t many menus in English, so try and ask for one with pictures on…otherwise you might end up with a jellyfish salad like I did!
03. Did you know Australia is the same size as the USA but with a population only about a third of the UK?
My hot picks
01. Arkaba Station - one of the incredible ‘wild bush luxury’ experiences in Australia. A welcoming luxury lodge set in the stunning Flinders Ranges in outback. Go on wildlife safaris during the day, unwind in the infinity pool, star gazing in incredibly clear skies by night and dine on delicious food accompanied by fantastic local wines.
02. Capella Lodge - a 9 Suite luxury lodge located on the beautiful and unspoilt ancient volcanic island Lord Howe – a World Heritage Site and protected marine & nature reserve off the east coast of Australia. Dive in clear seas, trek up the rugged walking tracks and enjoy the pure fresh air. This lodge is the ultimate in intimate luxury with renowned Aussie hospitality and excellent food. I just love it!
03. Six Senses Ninh Van Bay - my favourite beach destination in the world... the most incredible setting with a gorgeous white sandy beach fringed by calm turquoise waters, huge natural boulders and a collection of amazing pool villas. Perfect for a totally relaxing break with amazing service and ideal as part of a cultural adventure through Vietnam
04. Inle Lake in Burma – glide silently on your private boat through traditional fishing villages as well as visiting glittering golden temples and colourful markets. I loved the 20km bike ride I took along the river banks allowing you to really get to see authentic village life.
05. Song Saa, Cambodia – an absolutely breathtaking destination, truly stunning and a complete first for Cambodia. Now you can stay in real luxury in one of Asia’s most unspoilt locations, with miles of sandy beach and clear waters ideal for snorkelling and diving. There is a real 'eco' feel here, so you don’t feel like you are exploiting the environment and everything is done so well, especially the food!
Making friends in Fiji
Vietnam: South East Asia in high definition
Why China's leading the way
What my guests have said
"We really enjoyed our holiday and felt very well looked after. Thank you and we will certainly be using Scott Dunn again."
"Amy was excellent as usual and very helpful over the volcanic ash problem."
"Great advice on all accommodation and really felt like Amy listened to everything we were looking for. Would definitely book again! Many thanks."